Stihl MS 261 vs Echo 501SX vs AN Other

coppicer

41 minutes ago, Piston Skirt said:

Of all the things 390/446/452/490/500/501 had/have, brake definitely is not a problem. AV cushions - yes, for guys that love to get the bar pinched and then pull out.

on the three 501,s we use all of them have had numerous parts replaced on the brake mechanisms, obviously i cant comment on anyone elses saws, maybe we were unlucky or use the brake too much!

10 hours ago, carlos said:

on the three 501,s we use all of them have had numerous parts replaced on the brake mechanisms, obviously i cant comment on anyone elses saws, maybe we were unlucky or use the brake too much!

No such thing as using the brake too much. However, I'd take a slightly weak chain brake mechanism over a slightly weak crankshaft any day. One is a ten minute fix, the other writes the saw off near enough.

OP- here are some relevant threads to browse:

Edited by doobin
  • Thanks 1

Well I've bought it now so kind of stuck with it. I have the luxury of being able to choose between it or the MS241- I would like to use the 241 sometimes but I'm scared the crank will wear out with under 100 hours of use again?

Everything about the 241 is better ergonomically. Everything. Vibes, tank caps, felling lines, bar tensioner. But it's no good if the mechanicals of the saw can't stick the pace.

The Echo is plucky. I like it for now. Bit of an underdog and does pull well..

Edited by doobin

1 minute ago, coppicer said:

One more question. If were to get a 261, would that mean that I would be able to use the diagnostic functions and reset functions / error codes etc. (like you can on a car with OBD) or doesn't Stihl provide easy access?

No, only Stihl can access. I think it only really stores run and start times for warranty purposes.

8 minutes ago, doobin said:

No, only Stihl can access. I think it only really stores run and start times for warranty purposes.

Pity! On the AV issue, I notice that Echo states vibration of 5.2m/s2 for the 501 and Stihl claims 3.5 m/s2 for the 261, so quite a difference in the nominal figures, though whether that means much in real operation I don't know.

1 hour ago, coppicer said:

Pity! On the AV issue, I notice that Echo states vibration of 5.2m/s2 for the 501 and Stihl claims 3.5 m/s2 for the 261, so quite a difference in the nominal figures, though whether that means much in real operation I don't know.

The numbers are averages taken using 3 axis measurements at several rpm ranges. There are also values for 8 hour days, those are typically way lower (as they take into account 1/3 engine off time).

Sometimes all these numbers do not tell the story, but they are still a good reference. Also note, there are separate numbers for front and rear handle.

As a max. value 5m/s is already a noticeable figure for prolonged usage. Homeowner trimmers and blowers come as high as 8-10m/s. Angle grinders are a tragedy anyway :D