Stihl MS 261 vs Echo 501SX vs AN Other

coppicer

On 17/10/2020 at 18:04, peatff said:

We are now playing rock, paper, scissors, chainsaw, brick. :D I like that you got nearly half way through the brick without finding it.

You live and learn,?.  I guess I was slow on this stump ?.

i put this up, to show we all can make mistakes.  That day I learnt more on how to file  and learnt not to try and cut bricks again?.

• Like 2

On 17/10/2020 at 13:07, doobin said:

I last tried the Granberg around eight years ago. I stand by my assertations made in my original post- both the 'diamond' stones then and the normal stones were not a patch on a sharp file. The normal stones were OK for a sharpen, but then both clog and wear extremely quickly, leading to a frustrating experience or high levels of stone replacement cost.

Granberg have never supplied diamond stones - only their standard grinding stones - yes these grinding stones have their weak points but I suppose they are cheap.

The 'diamond' stones we sell here [are made by Dinasaw see below]

1. They last a very long time before needing to be replaced
  2. They don't heat the tooth anywhere near as much as other mechanical sharpeners
  3. They come in fine and coarse depending on if you need a quick tune up or you have a damaged tooth
  4. They keep the same shape unlike the standard grinding stones which are fine to start with but quickly lose their shape as they wear
  5. We call them diamond stones as it's easier for people to understand as otherwise it generated the question 'so what is ABN then' and really there is no need to know about the coating - the main thing is they do the job.
WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

Click here to go back to the chain sharpening tools menu

Dinasaw are based in Australia [you can see their website in the link below - they make some pretty high tech auto chainsaw sharpeners].

A quote from Gregg who owns the company:

'Basically the difference is this.

You would use Borazon (ABN) on steel as it cuts better

Diamond is almost exclusively used on Tungsten carbide as it will clog up and not cut efficiently when used on steel.

All our grinding wheels for normal steel chain and bandsaw blades are coated with ABN. We only use Diamond on Tungsten carbide chain.'

WWW.DINASAW.COM.AU

• Like 2

Sounds good. Still suggest you adjust the marketing accordingly. 

What I used years ago must have been diamond stones from a third party. If you’d advertised ABN stones I would have tried them recently when I searched for cbn stones. As it was I chucked the grinder ?

• Like 1

You picked all good saws.

The Echo will be a big jump from your MS180, very light saw in the hands,

it should come with a good sugihara bar, that has a replaceable nose.

take the 16 inch bar, the 15 that’s offered with that saw too is a pecker in comparison.

The MS 261 is by all accounts a very good saw, also very light.

The new Husqvarna 550XP Mk2 is a little heavier, but no doubt a good saw.

The above Two have more electronics, and will need dealer support to diagnose such issues, they may also cost more to fix, depending.

The Makita EA5000p is another option, it’s about the same weight as the Husqvarna 550XP Mk2, but no electronics, I have had many Makita Saws, no problems,

I had Two CS501Sx saws, no problems.

Dealer support is important, and what you can afford to spend will play it’s part.

But most of all, get the saw that will suit the wood you are cutting, it’s sore on a small trying to do a big saws work, it also take way too much time, unless health dictates otherwise,

get the saw you can safely use all day and suits your cutting needs.

Edited by Echo
  • Like 1

Just read the whole post.

People mention anti vibe numbers,

yes, the CS501Sx is a little noticeable, I would have expected better,

but in comparison to other saws, it’s no big deal unless you get bothered easily with vibrations, it’s not like marrying the wrong sister.

Rumour has it those Makita EA5000p saws are very smooth to run,

I have the EA4300 and it’s a great small saw, I even found the Makita EA 7900 to be very smooth regarding vibrations.

The EA5000p will probably be the best saw for your pound too.

It takes Husqvarna small mount bars, and regular chains, I forget now

about the CS501SX in this regard, but some Echo saws  don’t take regular chain lengths, and you need to get links removed or a chain made up.

Its easy to get parts for Makita / Dolmars too, they use regular carbs so

no costly diagnosis or parts needed.

Edited by Echo
  • Thanks 1