Stihl MS 261 vs Echo 501SX vs AN Other

coppicer

Thanks to everybody for their helpful comments, and Wonky in particular for the pictures, which I will compare to my own chains. I will probably order a new chain and use that as a kind of example to work towards.

However I'm pleased to report that late afternoon I had another go at sharpening an old chain, based on advice from earlier in the thread. I then went over to the coppice and cut up some ash I had waiting. The saw was hugely improved, just night and day, which is really pleasing. It still chugs a bit in the cut when there's lots of wood, but that's a power issue rather than a sharpness issue I think. I didn't expect to get it perfectly sharp first time, and it's not, but I will try resuscitating another one of my old chains tomorrow based on this thread.

With regard to the comments about using a hand file, I can see that it's a useful skill, but I doubt that an amateur / part-timer like myself sharpens chains often enough to get to a good level of consistency. I don't expect the electric sharpener to be any quicker than doing it manually (and in some ways it's less convenient of course, because you can't do it on site) but I do expect it to be more consistent tooth-to-tooth. Like stubby said, the best way to learn is to have somebody who knows how to do it to show you.

But the help received so far has given the saw a new lease of life. When I get a bigger saw I plan to bar this one down from 16" to 14" or 12" and keep using it for "dirty" jobs, so I'll still need to be keeping it sharp.

Edited by coppicer
  • Like 2

On 15/10/2020 at 17:48, doobin said:

Honestly, by far the best thing for a semi chisel picco chain is a sharp file. Quicker than messing around with a grinder and easy to put just how much hook you want on.

The Grandberg uses diamond stones, which from an engineering standpoint is completely the wrong material to use to try to cut steel with. I alway found it gave a piss poor result with either standard stones or diamond stones. What is needed is a CBN stone, but until then, a file will genuinely be quicker.

The Granberg use ABN coated stones [we call them diamond because it's easier to understand] and they work very well indeed IMO [seems that you have given an opinion before trying them?]

Also the standard stones work pretty well as well and both are faster than a file - my opinion only - but just saying I disagree with you on these points [but I will naturally be biased as we sell both!].

• Thanks 1

I reckon it doesn't matter how you get that chain sharp and with what - as long as you get it sharp.

When people say 'this method is the best this is method is crap' they are saying 'this method works for me, this other method did not'. Most methods work but you pick the one that suits you and gives good results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob D said:

The Granberg use ABN coated stones and they work very well indeed IMO

Thanks for that useful confirmation Rob. Good to know. Though I will soldier on with my grinder wheel sharpener and work to get it to do what I want, it does seem that the Grandberg allows a lot more flexibility when it comes to positioning the stone to shape the tooth. Looking back I kind of wish I had bitten the bullet and bought that instead of the Clarke but we live and learn.

2 hours ago, Rob D said:

The Granberg use ABN coated stones [we call them diamond because it's easier to understand] and they work very well indeed IMO [seems that you have given an opinion before trying them?]

Also the standard stones work pretty well as well and both are faster than a file - my opinion only - but just saying I disagree with you on these points [but I will naturally be biased as we sell both!].

I last tried the Granberg around eight years ago. I stand by my assertations made in my original post- both the 'diamond' stones then and the normal stones were not a patch on a sharp file. The normal stones were OK for a sharpen, but then both clog and wear extremely quickly, leading to a frustrating experience or high levels of stone replacement cost.

If indeed they have updated the 'diamond' stone composition, then I would suggest they also update the marketing. Even Chinese built drill sharpeners are shipping with CBN wheels (and work very well, better than any Drill Doctor type machine out there). CBN is entering the mainstream, and for certain applications such as drill bit and wood turning chisel sharpening it's a quantum leap forward.

What is ABN exactly? It's not something I have heard of and a Google search doesn't seem to bring up anything in particular.

38 minutes ago, doobin said:

I last tried the Granberg around eight years ago. I stand by my assertations made in my original post- both the 'diamond' stones then and the normal stones were not a patch on a sharp file. The normal stones were OK for a sharpen, but then both clog and wear extremely quickly, leading to a frustrating experience or high levels of stone replacement cost.

If indeed they have updated the 'diamond' stone composition, then I would suggest they also update the marketing. Even Chinese built drill sharpeners are shipping with CBN wheels (and work very well, better than any Drill Doctor type machine out there). CBN is entering the mainstream, and for certain applications such as drill bit and wood turning chisel sharpening it's a quantum leap forward.

What is ABN exactly? It's not something I have heard of and a Google search doesn't seem to bring up anything in particular.

The problem with chain grinding wheels is - the better they are, the faster the chain tends to get used. So on some more affordable systems where the owner may have less experience, this might help prevent them from disappearing the chain, and it keeps the system affordable.

Amber Boron Nitride(there are many types, really) :

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Edited by wyk
Clarification, boredom
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Wonky said:

Yes, as they say I got the tee shirt.

i sharpened more than once before I found this in the crutch base of the tree. ?. It was hidden in needles and crap. You can see how much I cut ?

I was so pleased I found it I took a pic ?

00F1E6EB-03CE-44AD-B3E1-D093F5408D5B.jpeg

We are now playing rock, paper, scissors, chainsaw, brick. :D I like that you got nearly half way through the brick without finding it.

• Haha 1