Stihl MS 261 vs Echo 501SX vs AN Other

coppicer

45 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Have a word with Shavey on here,he does Dolmar/Makita,just had a Makita 4300 off him,great little saw

Thanks, always nice to get a personal recommendation, but want to use my local dealer as he's been solidly supportive over the past few years.

• Like 4

Yes, think I saw that one, thanks for the link. To sum up:

a) If I could get a 501SX for £400 like the OP in that thread I'd certainly go for it; been quoted £550-600
b) Was interested to see that one poster claimed Stihl AV is much better than Echo
c) Lots of love for 550xp

I think it was £420 I paid on a 16” bar. ( the bars are tsumura too ! ). I love it. Echo make some great kit. Must of put 40 tanks of fuel through mine now and it’s way more pokey than when brand new. No complaints from me.
Price wise you can pick up the husky 550mk 2 for £470 anyway so you need to swap dealerships.
  • Like 1

id go with a husky 550xp, feels nicer and less vibes than the echo 501 and a bit more poke too, the echos are good and reliable although the brake mechanisim seems a weak point on them.

we have ran the echos for a few years but now we always grab the new husky 550 1st.

we had a stihl 261 great, till the crank bearing went within a year, to costly to repair.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carlos said:

id go with a husky 550xp, feels nicer and less vibes than the echo 501 and a bit more poke too, the echos are good and reliable although the brake mechanisim seems a weak point on them.

we have ran the echos for a few years but now we always grab the new husky 550 1st.

we had a stihl 261 great, till the crank bearing went within a year, to costly to repair.

Of all the things 390/446/452/490/500/501 had/have, brake definitely is not a problem. AV cushions - yes, for guys that love to get the bar pinched and then pull out.