Ankle support

essexjack

I’ve just sprained my

Ankle for the third time this year [emoji849] ( all three not climbing just walking o??uneven surfaces ) which is really frustrating as I climb every day.

Just wondering if anyone wears ankle support whilst they are working, I do up my boots at least three times a day but obviously loosens over the space of an hour because it’s leather [emoji1360]

It may be you need to see a Physio and strengthen your ankles with exercises.

I've worn boots most of my life and I think the ankle support from the boots weakens them so it may be best to wear trainers/trail shoes to work or when you don't really need to be in boots.

• Like 4

I've haad a weak anke since I was 16, goes over regularly. I have developed  areflex action that involves me dropping to the ground instantly when it happens, which saves me damaging it but gets some fully looks in Tesco.

The elasticy white stuff is totally the best. Hot tips are to shave your ankle regularly and only put one strip vertically right round the bottom of the foot from ankle to ankle (like a stirrup) and one around the ankle on top of it to hold the vertical one in place.

• Like 3

I sprained my right ankle three times as a teenager badly enough to need the sticky white bandage from heel nearly to the knee each time.  After 10 days the trauma of peeling it off most of my leg nearly outdid the benefit of wearing it.

Then soon into my 18th year I fully broke the thing jumping of six lanes of bales on a runaway bale trailer.  I've never sprained it badly since...

I also had a weak ankle from late teens. Also had Daltontrees reflex action exactly as described. Still have the same action now, 4 years after an ankle fusion operation, which locks the ankle solid with screws and a bone graft. No chance of it ever spraining again but I still go down ,to protect it.

Anyway in the 10 years or so prior to the op I tried out so many types of support. My favourites were "Ossur formfit, speedlace ankle brace", which can be easily worn in safety boots but actually behave like a stirrup, running down the outside of the ankle joint, under the foot and back up the other side. Laced fairly tightly allows normal up down movements but controls lateral well, without locking it solid. About 45 quid each, originally Icelandic manufactured ,but on the bay from somewhere in Scotland. Kept me going for years, - til the cartilage eroded away completely.

Well, not to sound too much lika Yorkshire man  .  .  .

but  .  .  .

I sprained my ankles habitually and very very badly from about age 12 right through to about 50,

I could do it on hard flat surfaces due to the merest  pickle of grit.

I still shudder when I remember the pain of the worst incidents.

Which was why I finally gave in and started buying the expensive high leg Lowa combat boots.

Anyway in with the Dr. one day and idly mentioned my proclivitity to turn my ankles, for no reason.

He sent me to a Podiarist, who instantly diagnosed flat feet.

A set of insoles later, combined with the Lowa boots and while still occassionally "tweeking" my ankle, no bad ones.

I also glued insoles into flipflops which I wear both in the house and when out.

I can now barely thole to walk in my unsupported bare feet.

So was that why the WW1/WW2 Armies refused to take otherwise big strong fit blokes with flat feet,

simply because they would likely trip over them.

2 hours ago, difflock said:

Well, not to sound too much lika Yorkshire man  .  .  .

but  .  .  .

I sprained my ankles habitually and very very badly from about age 12 right through to about 50,

I could do it on hard flat surfaces due to the merest  pickle of grit.

I still shudder when I remember the pain of the worst incidents.

Which was why I finally gave in and started buying the expensive high leg Lowa combat boots.

Anyway in with the Dr. one day and idly mentioned my proclivitity to turn my ankles, for no reason.

He sent me to a Podiarist, who instantly diagnosed flat feet.

A set of insoles later, combined with the Lowa boots and while still occassionally "tweeking" my ankle, no bad ones.

I also glued insoles into flipflops which I wear both in the house and when out.

I can now barely thole to walk in my unsupported bare feet.

So was that why the WW1/WW2 Armies refused to take otherwise big strong fit blokes with flat feet,

simply because they would likely trip over them.

I thought that was cos blokes with flat feet set more landmines off.... Appen.  K

• Confused 1