Anyone ever fitted new rollers to a Jensen a530?

swinny

Has anyone ever fitted new rollers to a Jensen a530?

Trying to see if it's worth it to increase pulling power into the rollers or just upgrade the machine as they are an old design.... 

If you've fitted any, can you remember the damage? 

I'd consider fitting both rollers Inc upper and lower bearings. And a new spring that pulls the cable. Might snatch stuff out of our hands then!

Either this or I'll sell and get a tw190 as easier to get bits for but.... I do remember a good few years ago on a site clearance the 530 was whipping a tw190 on site!

Cheers

Edited by swinny

Yes I have.

It was worth it,but try fitting a new spring and increasing the spring tension incrementally first.

I take it you have tried sharpening the feed rollers?

From memory the rollers were 200 quid each.You might get lucky and are able to get the lower feed roller shaft out of the roller but just put a new shaft in it along with new grub screws,it's not really worth trying to get the shaft out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Yes I have.

It was worth it,but try fitting a new spring and increasing the spring tension incrementally first.

I take it you have tried sharpening the feed rollers?

From memory the rollers were 200 quid each.You might get lucky and are able to get the lower feed roller shaft out of the roller but just put a new shaft in it along with new grub screws,it's not really worth trying to get the shaft out.

Right, cheers for that. I thought they'd just come with shafts allready? One piece? Top shaft has some wear in where bearing sits.... 

That spring could well be really old tbh... It's as tight as it can be. I dare say at high hours it has done the rollers be well worn. Have been sharpened In the past

Our tw230 kicks the 530's arse but it doesn't come out often.... Just considering throwing a few hundred quid at it or 10k on another chipper instead. 

The Rollers are not one peice.

Start at the cheap end of the problem,sharpen the Rollers by grinding the verticle (back face).

Then replace the spring.

I was going to have the rollers cleaned up in a mill but new rollers came out to be the same price.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Think there are manganese arc rods available which would make a tough bead on yr weld ( building up digger bucket teeth from Memory ) if yr gonna go down that road ? K

I've wondered about stellite tipping them but again they would need grinding back to the cylinder. It can be done with stellite cored wire in a mig welder.

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I've wondered about stellite tipping them but again they would need grinding back to the cylinder. It can be done with stellite cored wire in a mig welder.

That mig wire spits like fvkk too,  more convenient tho fr a finer bead.  Prefer the rods fr stump wheels that have worn out.   K

Edited by Khriss
( bottom line is - once they sharp again its like a new machine)

• 2 weeks later...