Battery saws for hedgelaying

gary112

How bout the dinky  makita cordless topper

Makita DUC254Z

WWW.PASSIONTEC.CO.UK

Makita DUC254Z at Passiontec ✓ Low Prices ✓ Fast Shipping ✓ Flexible Payment ✓ Reliable Service | Buy online now at...

Seems ideal apart from not being rear handle they should make a rear handle version

the two battery makita  cordless  rear handle version weighs as much as ms261 petrol saw......?

Edited by Stere

I don't use it all day. It's only for nipping off the odd limb, starting the pleach cut on big stuff and cutting off heals. But it is too big, even for that.

The only Echo tools I've had are brush cutters which have been very good but if their saws aren't up to it I'll steer clear. 

I did look at a Husky battery saw but the price put me off. So many small petrol saws are more domestic quality than pro so not knowing what to go for I've stuck with what I've got.

I've got the husky 540i, yes it was pricey but i got a good deal and got blower/combi/hedgecutter too.

I havent used it hedging yet but well impressed, cut sawlogs for mill well over guide bar and it ripped. I think the the narrow kerf helped (chain is a bit more meaty than the stilh i used)

I still think I'll use petrol saw on big stuff but 4" under i think it will be a winner. i especially like the fact you don't need to leave it ticking over or stop/starting when doing other things.

Will save a fortune on (aspen) fuel too. Just need inverter in the van so i can charge on the way home

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

I don't use it all day. It's only for nipping off the odd limb, starting the pleach cut on big stuff and cutting off heals. But it is too big, even for that.

The only Echo tools I've had are brush cutters which have been very good but if their saws aren't up to it I'll steer clear. 

I did look at a Husky battery saw but the price put me off. So many small petrol saws are more domestic quality than pro so not knowing what to go for I've stuck with what I've got.

Thats only my experience with Echo,i,ve just bought a little Makita 4300  off Shavey for this season,and its great so far,and not a lot of $$

I've found the small echos to be decent. Had a 360tes ( top handle version of 360wes) since 2016, no issues at all. Bought a 2700wes second hand for carving, very light and again no issues at all. The 2511wes looks a good hedge layer.

Been using makita cordless for a while. Like it, powerful enough ( the 36v ones are what you want unless pruning). Also very very cheap

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

The Makita DUC305Z Twin 18v BL LXT Cordless 300mm Chainsaw has a brushless motor, and captive nuts that prevent loss of nut when removing sprocket cover to replace guide bar or saw chain. DUC305Z Features.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Makita DUC306Z twin-18v top handle which, for the money, I think is pretty hard to beat and a huge step up from their original 18v offerings.  We already run Makita 18v tools so had the batteries etc.  My colleague is an arborist who has his own small woodland (larch) and spends 2-3 days a week on the saw.  This weekend we topped out a large(ish) pruce in my garden - the tree was about 110-120' tall and he cleared/snedded it up to at least 24m/80' using the Makita before cutting out the top with his Husky from the MEWP we had hired in.  The Makita did all of the cutting on one set of batteries.

Whilst it will obviously not have the grunt of a petrol saw, not that of the 'professional' but eye-wateringly expensive Husky/Stihl offerings, it is perfect for intermittent use (there is also a rear handled version as above).  At less than £180 for the bare tool and coming with a 3-year warranty I'm hoping mine lasts 2-3 years before it dies and I then get another to play with!

This is the tree we topped out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK1xx1M7xX8

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Makita just brought out 40v batteries.

No chainsaw for them yet though....

Don't much fancy replacing all my 18v/36v tools with new 40v. Be nice if the new batteries were backwards compatible somehow, step down circuitry or something, but I can't see it happening.