Battery saws for hedgelaying

gary112

My little experience with them  is match cutting next to people using them and of knowing several who've tried them.  In one national champs the chap cutting next to me used a Stihl.  He was well into two batteries on a match length.  

I've had a few little goes and not really impressed but much of my cutting is very heavy stuff.

Smaller hedges can be as quick with axe and hook if you've got the room.

They seem to be popular with the hobby/weekend warrior cutters but commercially they've a way to go I reckon.

• Like 2

Haven't done hedge laying either but I just picked up the 540ixp and it's quite a beast even in eco mode it's pretty good. Cut and pointed fencing strainers today which it managed but would occasionally clog in the side cover. The operator presence lever is a bit different as you need to push it in then down. Haven't tried the stihls but it knocks yards out of my Makita.

• Like 1

Haven't done hedge laying either but I just picked up the 540ixp and it's quite a beast even in eco mode it's pretty good. Cut and pointed fencing strainers today which it managed but would occasionally clog in the side cover. The operator presence lever is a bit different as you need to push it in then down. Haven't tried the stihls but it knocks yards out of my Makita.
Good to know. What makita you comparing it to?

1 hour ago, Husky575xp said:

At £800 it should do.

I thought about a cordless a couple of years ago. I do 1500 to 2000 metres of hedge laying in a good season and it seemed a good idea not to tote saw, fuel and oil across fields day after day.

My regular saw is a Husky 365 SP which I've had for years and love to bits. It's not ideal because it's far too big and I have a tendency to leave it sitting on the ground for too long between use so it burns out plugs. 

But on reflection, for all the disadvantages I'l stick with a petrol saw and I've got in mind a small Echo.

Edited by Gimlet

1 hour ago, billpierce said:
2 hours ago, Husky575xp said:

Good to know. What makita you comparing it to?

Actually I shouldn't really be comparing it to my Makita as it's a duc302 so there isn't a fair match, chain speed from 8 m/s to 20m/s. Early days but very pleased and I like the new sp21g chain. I prefer it to the Stihl ms201cm which i did have

8 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I thought about a cordless a couple of years ago. I do 1500 to 2000 metres of hedge laying in a good season and it seemed a good idea not to tote saw, fuel and oil across fields day after day.

My regular saw is a Husky 365 SP which I've had for years and love to bits. It's not ideal because it's far too big and I have a tendency to leave it sitting on the ground for too long between use so it burns out plugs. 

But on reflection, for all the disadvantages I'l stick with a petrol saw and I've got in mind a small Echo.

Dont fancy using a 365 for hedging all day,i had a couple little Echo,s for hedging and killed both pretty quick,found em pretty rubbish