Price point

Justme

For those of you that are processing lorry loads of soft or hardwood.

1, At what price per m3, tonne or lorry load would you stop processing your self & use a contractor to process for you?

Assume that you still need to help to remove the split logs & poss move logs to the contractors machine.

2, Would the price differ if the contractor could do larger diameter logs than the sub 35cm / 14" typical processor feed stock?

a, up to 50cm

b, up to 80cm

3, What length do you typically cut the logs too?

a, 8"

b, 10"

c, 12"

d, 14-18"

e, up to 1m billets

4, How much production can your handling side cope with per day?

a, 1/2 lorry

b, 1 lorry

c, 2 lorries

d, other

5, What else would encorage you to change over to using a contractor?

a, log cleaner

b, log pallet bundler / wrapper

c, self loading so you dont need to load the log deck

d, site left clean

e, contractor bringing a loader/skidsteer / tractor etc

f, other

10 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

Unless the contractor can do every part of the job for £10per m3 I'd rather do it myself.

And I wouldn't go out for that as processor and man unless it was guaranteed 10-16" timber.

Inc taking logs away to be stacked, or piled?

Or would it be your responsibility once its off the conveyor?

Inc taking logs away to be stacked, or piled?
Or would it be your responsibility once its off the conveyor?

No, not including that.

I'd definitely consider contractors if I couldn't keep up with output ourselves or wanted to do double the amount earlier in the summer perhaps.

We used contractors till it got the point we were selling over 100t a year.

22 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

No, not including that.

I'd definitely consider contractors if I couldn't keep up with output ourselves or wanted to do double the amount earlier in the summer perhaps.

We used contractors till it got the point we were selling over 100t a year.

I already do £10 per m3 for vetted clients that dont slow me down by bad site, wood or helpers.

They are expected to clear all cut logs & keep the wood pile right up to the processor so I only have to roll onto the lifter.

Currently do about 1/2 lorry per day but thinking of changing processor to up that to 1 or more.

Due to investment & larger running costs not sure if that could also bring down the per m3 price or not.

• 1 month later...

This is somthing I’ve been thinking about doing for a couple of years now,can’t seem to find anyone close to me though gl6 glos prob got 50/75 ton in the yard no ready for processing,wouldbuy it in ready processed at the right price .anyone on here want some subcontract splitting pm me I have telehandler on site and bins for storage.