Spur to rim job conversion dolmar/makita

Stere

Wondering about  an  "upgrade"from a spur to rim  on a ea4300 when I replace the sprocket?

Sounds like a shim is needed?

WWW.ARBORISTSITE.COM

Yesterday I bought a used 421 for what initially looked to be a good price when it fired right up. I knew there was some...

Assuming an extra washer under the circlip?

Any advice appreciated etc...

11 hours ago, Stere said:

Thankyou yeah its the same saw.

Did you need a shim/washer?

Bars seem to be wearing internally like pic below and maybe rim sprockets will help reduce the speed of bar wear....

image.png.6191128496e9e21bda705e3ee33961fc.png

Don't recall any extra washers etc. It was a straight swap of clutch drum with original.

As the rim sprocket "floats", as does the chain on a spur sprocket, and automatically lines up with          the bar, wear on  the bar rails is not down to the sprocket not "lining up" with the bar more                        probably  the wrong gauge of bar/chain  combo or uneven sharpening.

Edited by outonalimb

Defo right chain and bar combo  and its oiling properly (nearly full oil tank to one fuel tank) and not running a over tight or over slack chain.

And spur sprocket wear now too bad atm

Original dolmar 15" bar and and an oregon speed 15" cut both worn the same.

Only other thing   might of affected it I can think of if  I burred a chain a few times  when it flew off cutting blackthorn had to de-bur a few of the  rakers.

• Confused 1

I just hooked a friend up with 325 LGX to put on a 421.  The 421 came with 6T spur picco 3/8LP. 

Put a rim set up and 325 7T rim, it didnt have the balls to pull it better then the 6T picco set up.   So pay attention to what your changing back forth with different drives. 

Edited by Cut4fun