Best pickaroon / log dragger

Until recently i had a Woodchuck pickaroon, i'd customised with a longer handle - perfect for dragging chestnut stems around without doing my back in; unfortunately is now mislaid somewhere and no idea if I'll see it again. Has anyone bought any of the longer handled commercial pickaroons, or did anyonme buy one of Rob D's (s I had)that they no longer use? Happy to pay retail for another one, not so keen on paying nearly the same money again on carriage and import from the States. Some of the sappies are rubbish, I found that the woodchuck version dug in to timber really well  despite having no weight to it. Has anyone tried the Fiskars type?

Edited by Acerforestry
spelling

I have a Fiskers and its surprisingly good but doesn't holed quite as reliably as my old one. Cant find what it was but this looks the closest in shape

UK.KNIVESANDTOOLS.EU

To move and lift smaller logs and pieces of wood

The Fiskers is very light with a tough handle which was the weakness on my old one. I have repaired the old wooden handled one now but still tend to use the Fiskers due to it's light weight. For truly reliable holding timber tongs take some beating

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop Bison 20-03-121202 Pickaroon Log Handling Tool - 80 cm. Free delivery on eligible orders of £20 or more.

Got this  german one its pretty good long handle is very useful  to pull/turn large logs  or unload from trailer / stacks dunno if its the best as haven't tried many of others to compare against it....

Edited by Stere

Bought the Ochenkoff 1100mm Sappie 2 years ago and very strong/well made piece of kit, have also Stihl 400mm (50g) and 800mm hookaroom which aren't very well made, the point on the longer one snapped off first winter when moving frozen logs. Ochenkopf do a 380mm hand sappie as well which is just as well made. Clarkforest.com in Dumfries stock Ochenkopf (search under forest and garden then sappies & log picks), costs are 1100mm £75 ex vat and 380mm £28.50 ex vat, they also do a holder for the hand sappie.

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

Best I’ve found

WWW.RADMORETUCKER.CO.UK

Could not get on with
The ochenkopf or stihl ones.

Looks like a well designed pick Matty, like the stop end which is a good safety feature and notches for frozen wood, probably a bit short for rolling big stuff but looks like a good general purpose pick which could be used one handed. 

18 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

Thanks for all replies, a toss up between the Bison and the Fiskars I think

That Bison looks like the Stihl hookaroon, it will not grip frozen wood/probably bounce out, hook of same design of one that snapped on mine on contact with frozen wood. That Fiskars is designed to grip frozen wood and the stop end is a good feature but shaft looks a bit straight.

• Like 2