BFO Tree overhanging my garage and house

roys

This big F off tree overhangs my garage and house, now I don’t mind it as I do like trees. The tree is in a very large garden that belongs to a very large house that you can’t see to the left of the picture. The house has had new owners for the last year. The previous owners used to get an Arborist to check the trees including this one every 3 or 4 years, in fact about 10 years ago they got a big overhanging Chestnut tree taken down.

The flat roofed building with the yellow fold up scaffold leaning against it has branches rubbing on the top of the roof, I know legally I can remove the branches to my boundary but is the best for the tree?

Is the best for the tree health to get the offending branches cut back to the trunk. I would obviously not be doing this and would go and suggest to the tree owner that this is the appropriate action if that is the case? Nobody has met the new owners yet.

Just out of interest if the tree was to fall in a storm one night in the wrong direction it could take out 3 houses including mine and I may wake up dead, so just out of interest is this considered an Act of God or would it be the tree owners responsibility, not that it would matter to me cos I would be having the long sleep.

This is in Scotland and I think the tree is a Maple.

pics to follow.

1D8F6A32-8B3D-4C34-A2B7-695AE676AC67.jpeg

294469DE-6ADB-4F2E-A254-385D87DA394A.jpeg

F3DD45BA-EB39-4C13-BB70-DD6FF31A25C8.jpeg

1 hour ago, roys said:

Just out of interest if the tree was to fall in a storm one night in the wrong direction it could take out 3 houses including mine and I may wake up dead, so just out of interest is this considered an Act of God or would it be the tree owners responsibility, not that it would matter to me cos I would be having the long sleep.

This is in Scotland and I think the tree is a Maple.

Yes I guess you would call it maple, Scotlands national tree, it's a sycamore to sassenachs.

IMO if it fell on a brick built house it probably wouldn't penetrate more than the roof but the single storey bit....

I still pass a house that, with the help of a crane, I lifted a similar 3m3 stem and associated crown sycamore 33 years ago, you can just make out the outline of the now faded new tiles in the line of fall.

I would like to see the junction of those two stems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Contact new owners, and nicely enquire if they'll be continuing their duty of care by getting the trees regularly inspected, and pruned away from neighbouring properties. They are probably unaware of previous maintenance/inspection schedules, probably hadn't occurred too them their trees may conflict with their neighbours.

p.s I very much doubt you'd "wake up dead" ?  :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

" probably hadn't occurred too them their trees may conflict with their neighbours"

p.s I very much doubt you'd "wake up dead" ?  :D 

......  on my gravestone  ( big letters  )   k

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

They are probably unaware of previous maintenance/inspection schedules, probably hadn't occurred too them their trees may conflict with their neighbours.

I think , by law you have to declare something  like this when you sell a property .  Could be wrong ...

• Thanks 1

As Josh rightly says talk to your neighbours.  People need to talk.  Obviously there's no guarantee of them being nice people who care about their responsibilities but you won't know if you don't approach them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nepia said:

As Josh rightly says talk to your neighbours.  People need to talk.  Obviously there's no guarantee of them being nice people who care about their responsibilities but you won't know if you don't approach them.

Thanks... and you live where  ??? !!!!   ? K

Edited by Khriss
Gonna move there and get out of this UK shit Hole