Apple Tree guidance

AndrewChivs

Looking for advice. Apple tree in garden always produced a bounty of apples but never been able to eat as they have been covered in black spots or eaten by bugs. Last year attached a sticky band around the base and this year gave a better Apple but still not quite there. My question is I think it’s very over crowded and have been pruning but there are some very tall branches that are impossible to get to. Would you advise cutting these off

1202D696-AAB4-4F35-BA86-34910ACF9DA0.jpeg

71EFF3AA-8CDD-4F9A-9A7A-C1CEC8B05BB9.jpeg

F8E9AE08-03F9-405B-A5D9-5A61F44622F3.jpeg

Black spots are scab, spray for it if you want to control it. Timing is important so look it up.

Codling Moth (the maggots inside the apples ) can just about be controlled by trapping, get the trap from garden centre or online. Again timing is important.

Cut off upright branches, don't just reduce their length. On the tree in the pic I would cut them to leave the drooping branches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks pretty good -  i would also increase size of its bed and mulch with bark / chip to retain moisture when summer comes around. Dont try and get it spot on in one go its got years ahead of it  ?  possibly plant another apple spp in garden to help with pollination. Only a few quid from Lidls next Spring.  K

I think its a bit of a " black art " the pruning of orchard trees , They always seem to prune the heart out of the crown  . I was told this was to let air circulate . I don't know if this is B.S. or not but the trees always had no middle if you see what I mean .

Best time to do the bigger cuts on the tree is winter once the leaves have fallen and once the temperature has gotten a bit lower. Then I would take off the long leader that you have arrowed. Remove any crossing branches or any damaged branches. Don't leave stubs if you can avoid it. You want to create an open centre tree and you also don't need lots and lots of main branches in the crown, you want to keep a nice tidy tree that has enough air and enough space within the crown, this also helps prevent disease, canker and fungus which in a fruit tree is pretty important to avoid having. Your fruit will be better with more space and air between the branches. Depending on the species, the trees can be pretty hardy and if pruned in winter you will get better results and less likely to cause it harm. Bearing in mind that you have to wait for new fruit buds to be produced on the tree once you have new growth, but if you only want a few apples then that will probably be fine. 

As above, a good mulch, if you can use well rotted woodchip that's good. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stubby said:

I think its a bit of a " black art " the pruning of orchard trees , They always seem to prune the heart out of the crown  . I was told this was to let air circulate . I don't know if this is B.S. or not but the trees always had no middle if you see what I mean .

Just access fr harvesting and thinning out  fruit Mr Stubby..  Dependent on how you want the trees to crop.  Nothing wrong with letting it grown as a garden tree on its own.  K

• Thanks 1