Is this hunny fungus

Hunny fungus and tpo

Question

Hi I hope this is something you can help with. 
12 years ago i had a huge mature oak tree, (estimated 95 tonnes had TPO) The base was rotting in places and started to sprout mushrooms from it’s base. These were sent to a laboratory by the council TO and identified as collybia fusipes. The tree was considered dangerous and felled with TO approval. 
The council insisted that I replant oak in the same position. - this made no sense to me as the ground is infected but I went ahead as per their wishes. 
however each year since then clumps of mushrooms have been sprouting at this time of year, and over the years we are getting more mushrooms. To the point that this year the mushrooms are growing out of my garden wall, from the base of my adjacent hedge and under large laurel / holly specimens and there are loads if them. 

can anyone identify if this is the original collybia or could it be hunny fungus ? 
And what can I do to stop this from continuing to get worse  ? 
also the new oak has a TPO so I can’t peel back the bark or dig up the roots to look for Other signs to help identify this mushroom. 
i can provide more pics if needed many thanks for your help ! 

CBE1639E-956B-4A35-894B-429364F5E8A1.jpeg

1AA5B721-2E13-422D-98CA-36E1B9DA80E4.jpeg

D6539C11-67ED-429D-B83B-1988893D4926.jpeg

I wouldn’t suggest you should dig near the base of the new tree to ‘explore’ potential issues as you will more than likely sever roots and open up potential paths of infection that don’t currently exist.

Leave it alone - there isn’t really anything practicable you can do to prevent possible infection. If the tree is healthy then it has as good a chance as possible of surviving/thriving. If it dies off then fell it! 

• Like 2

There has been some recent research into honey fungus that showed that it only attacked living trees when it ran out of deadwood food. There's now advice going to forest owners to not have sterile woods as this is a fungus that eats deadwood until it runs out of food starts becoming "aggressive" and then causes living wood to die so it can feed. One "fix" I have seen is to mulch around the base of the tree with wood chippings. I doubt it is a permanent fix but it seemed to stop it attacking the tree when I have seen it used. In your case however the fungus is going to be feeding on the dead root stock of the old tree. I wouldn't worry about it for now. 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 2

That's a new one on me.  I hope it proves true as it could help manage the fungus.  Do you have a source by any chance? I know someone who could benefit by this; he likes his garden scraped clean - wants every leaf cleared away.  Perhaps I could now persuade him to let me leave some old stumps lying around ?

I will have to look for a proper source. I only found out from a recent training course and when inspecting the tree I was told that the oak had honey fungus for the last 2/3 years and the training company mulched around the base (about 6 inches to 1ft deep). It stopped displaying symptoms of it and the tree seemed to be "cured" or at least it's life extended from the process. 

• Like 2

Shed loads of the stuff at my place.

It's growing on the roots of an old sycamore stump. The tree was felled 7 or 8 years ago. Had the odd clump of honey fungus around the base of the stump before but it's never erupted like this all over the lawn. There's a clump just visible in the flower bed on the other side of the path as well.

If it has become a fixture and might go searching for living wood when it's exhausted the sycamore I'd like to get rid of it. Is there any spray that will kill it?

DSC_0184.thumb.JPG.260340166f2008e1d39ad659013c7dd5.JPG

Wow an impressive crop of mushrooms! I’m in no way qualified but the internet tells me there isn’t a chemical control ... hence my original question. I had the original oak stump ground out but the fungus eruptions have got progressively worse Each year. As I understand it If clearing the ground is an option it may help .... but from what I can ascertain you’d have to clear a LOT of ground and just would be practical for me ( also the tree i planted now has a tpo on it)
Everyone on this forum is very helpful, I hope you find a solution