Tree literature?

Paddy1000111

I've been scouring the forums but can't seem to come up with a "up-to-date" answer. Does anyone have any advice on what books to purchase for tree work in general? I was hoping to consolidate my information down to a couple of books for the glovebox. Preferably a general quick reference to species, illnesses and pruning techniques and times for tree types? There seems to be tonnes of books (I have a few) but I don't want to carry a book that gives me 40 pages on hand saw types and what knife to use ?.

I know asking "What book is best" is a bit like asking "what oil is best" but any ideas for quick reference books would be ideal! 

Hi Khriss! For a minute there I didn't see the "s" in Gasping Housewives... Wondered how you got any work done! That definitely looks like the sort book I need though (body language of trees that is ?). Am I right in saying that it's 2015 and quite up-to-date with recent tree diseases etc?

30 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Its more the science behind tree failure than a guide to decay fungi, the Guy Watson book fr abt a tenner is yr best bet off Arb Association website. Nice field guide to fungi fr arborists.  K

I noticed there's two. One specifically for fungi and the other for tree pests and diseases. I take it the pests and diseases one doesn't mention fungi at all as it's not a pest or disease 

Guy Watson is a great bloke, very funny, did my Tree Inspectors ticket with him. Buy both as they are clear and easy field guides, that fit in yr rucksack. Claus book is more bedtime reading. But with those yr streets ahead of the game.  K

Dr Ed Gilman, An Illustrated Guide To Pruning. It was recommended on here a while back, it's not a long list of species and timings but rather a thorough grounding in principles of pruning which you then carry forward to any tree or shrub really. I found it very readable even though 600 pages.

He's made lectures available on Educated Climber website too if you'd rather watch than read:

WWW.EDUCATEDCLIMBER.COM

photo courtesy of University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Dr. Ed Gilman is the author of “An Illustrated Guide to Pruning“, arguably the most complete and accessible reference on tree pruning in our industry. This comprehensive text has helped to inform countless professional arborists and tree surgeons on the best practices of training, trimming and […]

Maybe it fails as not quick reference but then I don't think quick reference is really that helpful.
  • Like 1

@Paddy1000111 just downloaded Gerry Beraneks book from Educatedclimber. Com. 20 bucks which was the bible for climbing and tree works back then. The rope technical stuff is dated but his views and teaching attitude cannot be beaten. The print version is rare but this is a full pdf copy that fits in yr phone.  K

• Like 2