Stump sprayer paintbrush

frogworlduk

Has anyone used a pesticide applicator with a paintbrush head? I'm looking to be able to basically paint stumps rather than spraying them and getting any drift. Is there a particular head that fits on the end of a knapsack sprayers Lance or has anyone adapted one? I'm spraying thousands of birch 1" stumps 

Guest Gimlet

I cut and sprayed thousands of hawthorn, oak and hazel saplings on some chalk grassland last year. Tried wiping but found the quickest and cleanest way was a small 1 litre pump sprayer with the nozzle adjusted to deliver a single stream rather than a spray.

A quick squirt onto the cut stump and it soaks it up instantly. No overspray, no spillage or brushing against something accidentally and some blue dye to see where I'd been. Worked a treat.

Edited by Gimlet

Guest Gimlet

like me, you're needing to treat a huge number in one go, not a few here and there now again. In this situation the thing I found with all the wiping options I tried was physical practicality. How do you carry it and how often does it need replenishing.

If all your stumps are pre-cut and you're going round treating them after the event, then a long wand with some sort of wipe/sponge on the end is great. 

If you're cutting/shredding and treating as you go with either a chainsaw to carry or a big brush cutter attached to you - and especially if it's steep ground and arduous going (as mine was), then a little squirt bottle carried on a belt loop was so much faster and easier. I carried a 1.5 L bottle of pre-mixed refill on the other side of my belt and that kept me going more than adequately.

I went over my ground a month afterwards and there was no evidence of drift or over-spray.

Edited by Gimlet