Dilemma: What to do with a totally new MS 500i ?

HackneyAndBeyond

Hello!  I have bought a Stihl MS 500i a little over a year ago and just after I bought it I hurt my knee. When I called Stihl directly they told me that if I sold it on eBay the warranty will expire as the machine is registered under my name only. Plus I don't know what would be a fair price to ask for as it won't be under warranty.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated as I simply don't know what to do.

Many thanks in advance!

It is what it is, offer the saw for sale at what you want for it, but explaining the facts regards warranty. It’ll have to be treated like any second hand item even though it is “as new”.
They’re typically £900-£1000 new, so if its unused but has warranty void..... you’ll lose the vat off it straight away which puts you in to the £700-£800 bracket, then prob take hundred off it for loss of warranty, leaving you at £600-£700 bracket, i’d be thinking £650 is a fair price. Only you can decide.

• Like 3

Stihl warranty expires after a year anyway. I think you should turn this thread into an open bidding thread- it'll find a good home on here. If I didn't have a 462 that I was very happy with I'd offer £600 posted.

Come on lads, who'll give the man £620??

Actually, eBay might be a better place for it- plenty of non VAT registered smallholders would jump at teh chance to save just the VAT on an as new saw. Pictures will show that it's not been used, and an original receipt with matching serials will show that it's genuine and not stolen.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HackneyAndBeyond said:

Thanks for all three replies! 

In regards to eBay:   What would happen if I sold it to someone by accident who has never used a chainsaw before and injures himself. Could I be held liable? 

I've sold things via eBay before, but never something that could end up hurting someone.

No .  People sell cars . Sometimes they crash . Injuring ,killing people .  Not good  I know but not the fault of the seller provided everything is road worthy . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HackneyAndBeyond said:

@Stubby:   thanks, but don't I at least have to make sure that they are over 18 (e.g. by asking them for a photo of their driving license or soemthing)?

Look . You can say  along the lines of " this is a pro saw , very powerful , I assume you know what you are doing . I have no responsibility if you do something stupid with it "  

• Like 1

To be fair any one can go into any dealer and by what ever saw they want ( some may want to see some paper work if its a top handle but you can even buy that from B&Q or similar )  The dealer may or may not ask questions but he is not obliged to .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1