Absolute beginner help...

Rob_the_Sparky

On 01/10/2020 at 21:15, JAG63 said:

If it's only occasional use and fuel is likely to sit for a long time consider using Aspen 2 or a Stihl/Husky equivalent like Motomix. A bit more expensive but keeps far better.

Funnily enough that is exactly what I did, even found a local supplier.  It is a bit expensive but the stability of the fuel means that for my occasional use it is ideal.

Got it running at the weekend after a bit of swearing and a sore arm from so many attempted starts.  Think I was messing up the starting procedure and flooding the engine.  Will have another go if we get a window in the rain at the weekend as I think I now know what I was doing wrong (not activating the feature that holds the throttle part open for starting).

It is interesting using a small petrol saw after the mains powered one I'm used to.  My initial impression in that the mains saw is better, which was not what I was expecting at all.  Still need to give it time to get used to the new saw and will be good to be able to work without being tied to a cable now and again.

• Like 1

I had a query once from someone at work who had used a petrol chainsaw to try and cut logs but was very disturbed by the saw throwing the wood out of what she called timber jaws. I asked her what she was doing and was told that she was trying to operate it in the same way that she had operated an electrically powered chainsaw some years before. I then discovered that electric chainsaws don't always have a variable throttle and she had been using the electric saw with the throttle fully depressed. What she didn't know was that the petrol saw had a variable throttle and was thus taking it to a small log at full throttle which was throwing the wood up in the air. So if you dont already know, regulate the throttle use on your petrol saw. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocMustard said:

I had a query once from someone at work who had used a petrol chainsaw to try and cut logs but was very disturbed by the saw throwing the wood out of what she called timber jaws. I asked her what she was doing and was told that she was trying to operate it in the same way that she had operated an electrically powered chainsaw some years before. I then discovered that electric chainsaws don't always have a variable throttle and she had been using the electric saw with the throttle fully depressed. What she didn't know was that the petrol saw had a variable throttle and was thus taking it to a small log at full throttle which was throwing the wood up in the air. So if you dont already know, regulate the throttle use on your petrol saw. 

Thanks .

• Like 1