Poplar Ident

Cheers , I was thinking it was more like what I know in common speak as an American timber poplar sp.
Unfortunately there are four trees each about 25m in height over a public right of way and cycle track : they have recently started to shed 750cm diam limbs (not included unions) which i believe to be the start of natural retrenchment.
The trees are not like the Manchester pop variety, which although not ideal can form a new head and managed as a "fake pollard". However, the pops you suggest might be true black dont seem to regenerate as well so considering removal and replacement planting.
Any comments / ideas would be interesting to see.

In the search for the perfect yielding poplar the powers that be have literally tried every possible cross permutation of poplar species.Individuals are often clones, with no individual character. For me, differentiating between them is an occasional academic pursuit but since I rarely feel sure of an ID I have never managed to catalogue the correct management repertoire for each. The overview is that the only good poplar is a dead poplar, or possible the kind that is quite far away from any thing or anyone. Snappy, stinky prolific uncontrollable freaks, on the whole. Sorry, can't hep with any recommendations.

• Like 4