Weekend Work Rate

Treespasser

Let's see how many of you are all saying 1.5x when the shit hits the fan next year.. We may not be far away from a return to the days of cut throat undercutting and scrabbling for a work.

Market forces will determine. Do you think McDonalds staff get double for working Sundays?

Edited by doobin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 30/09/2020 at 20:43, dan blocker said:

I’m self employed, I’ll work Saturdays for normal day rate cos I know that very soon there’s going to be days and part days I can’t work due to weather. There’s also going to be days when I’m crook and can’t work?. There’s no sickness benefits for me or company scheme where I self certify a sick chit- nobody will give a sh**. Blokes who sub to me also think the same fortunately. There’s an old Chinese proverb that says - “make hay when the sun shines“? but obviously written in Chinese?I just interpreted it for you all?

Exactly, self employed, every day is the same, I’m working today through choice, some day during next week il not bother- that’s the beauty of self employed, I think it would be different if you employed lads during the week and wanted them to do a sat/sun, I think it’s only fair to offer them an incentive to give up their weekend as they don’t have the choice to not do weekdays.

There is also a difference if the client specifically wants it done in the weekend- personally I probably wouldnt charge extra as I don’t give a toss what day of the week it is.

Edited by Matthew Storrs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, doobin said:

Market forces will determine. Do you think McDonalds staff get double for working Sundays?

Edited 2 hours ago by doobin

Somewhat amusing you're comparing Arb work with MacDonalds employee's and not another recognized trade like a Plumber, Sparkie or an Engineer. 

Do you think those employed in the 'trades' get Over time on the weekends? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Somewhat amusing you're comparing Arb work with MacDonalds employee's and not another recognized trade like a Plumber, Sparkie or an Engineer. 

Do you think those employed in the 'trades' get Over time on the weekends? 

Possibly because if you compared it with the trades you mention the argument wouldn't stand up.

In the 25 years I was on the books for different companies I was always paid 1.5 or double for working weekends.

• Like 2

One contract i have been asked to help out with is paying subbies time and a half and double time for the next 6 weeks to get the job finished,Hotel in cardiff and day rate is £20 an hour so some one looking to earn a deposit for a house and willing to put the hrs in can earn a lot of coin. Only ever seen this one time in 30 years