Patio stain damage (cypress)

lowlandtrees

16 hours ago, lowlandtrees said:

It’s the neighbour (who requested the work).

16 hours ago, lowlandtrees said:

The patio was laid 2 weeks ago.

Was the patio even down when you priced the job? I wish people would get jobs done in the right order. It would make it easier for everyone.  

I priced a large pop at the bottom of someone's garden once. Ground surrounding it was an unkept border. Thought great. Chog onto that.  Went back to do the job and they'd had a patio laid. No mention! ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Con said:

Was the patio even down when you priced the job? I wish people would get jobs done in the right order. It would make it easier for everyone.  

I priced a large pop at the bottom of someone's garden once. Ground surrounding it was an unkept border. Thought great. Chog onto that.  Went back to do the job and they'd had a patio laid. No mention! ?

Yes....spot on. No patio when I made the first site visit

15 minutes ago, lowlandtrees said:

Yes....spot on. No patio when I made the first site visit

I can tell your conscientious and take pride in your work/reputation, in this case, I think the advise should be, don't admit responsibility.  (I'd say its doubtful, anyway,  that it's anything to do with you) 

I've also seen something similar caused by an angle grinder bein used to cut flags. Burrs of metal left on the patio. They don't show up straight away, until they have rusted. I would just sit tight. Not worry. If he pursues it, either ask him to prove it was you, or as somebody else suggested, if you have insurance,  pass on to them.

I can't see him pursuing it. I wouldn't have thought it would be worth his time. 

• Like 2

One of my lads decided to change a bar and chain on some Indian sandstone the other day. Obviously the oil leaked and stained the stones.

My client rang round and found a product called lithofin oil ex gel. 

Shes yet to get back to me with the results but apparently the tiler who recommended it swears by it. 

Interested to know how the stain appeared? Did you lower  bits his side and leave logs there? Or is it just falling sawdust? Fail to see how the latter would stain. 

Looks like rust stains to me. Was other landscaping undertaken when the patio was laid? I’d put money on those stains being created by grinding arisings from someone cutting steel during the landscaping - I can’t see tree work causing that personally. Rust wouldn’t you appear for a couple of weeks after some rain (which we’ve only recently had). 
Politely ask him to prove it was caused by tree arisings and not by the landscapers.

• Like 2

Seen a lot of this colour stone come with staining from the suppliers! A mate landscaper had to take his client to the supplier and show him all of their packs had small rust coloured marks. Last time i checked trees were not made of metal so don’t leave rust stains...

• Like 1