Ported 201T

Darryl J Saunders

• 1 year later...

The saw would have had the exhaust modified, a mesh air filter and an ignition advance. The customer would have this on his invoice and I would have charged accordingly for the work carried out including any servicing, cleaning and ancillary parts if missing or damaged.

I do this on smaller newer saws as it is usually the most cost effective way of getting a decent amount of gain without ramping costs up.

Customers often refer to it as porting as most glaze over if you go in to the technical description of what I get up to but.....unlike what some misguided people think.....I charge for the ACTUAL work done and each customer gets details of what I have done on their invoice....OH....and any expensive parts back that I may have had to replace as I am a bit old school in that respect and think people like to see both the old knackered part, the new part OEM box and a working saw!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

The saw would have had the exhaust modified, a mesh air filter and an ignition advance. The customer would have this on his invoice and I would have charged accordingly for the work carried out including any servicing, cleaning and ancillary parts if missing or damaged.

I do this on smaller newer saws as it is usually the most cost effective way of getting a decent amount of gain without ramping costs up.

Customers often refer to it as porting as most glaze over if you go in to the technical description of what I get up to but.....unlike what some misguided people think.....I charge for the ACTUAL work done and each customer gets details of what I have done on their invoice....OH....and any expensive parts back that I may have had to replace as I am a bit old school in that respect and think people like to see both the old knackered part, the new part OEM box and a working saw!!

It's good to give old parts back as far to many don't believe what's been replaced and why. Just wish people would take them with them. Certainly the plastic/rubber components. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

That's why I asked mate, I've asked you about doing my old 201 a while back and you told us not with going that far as you get most of the results from the exhaust mod or something to the effect. 

I've noticed a lot of people seem to thing that porting is mashing a drill bit through your exhaust cover and that's it. 

• Like 1

I know Joe....part of porting is improving the flow through the exhaust but you can't "Port" an exhaust...it is a muffler mod.

Porting in my book is widening and shaping ports, piston mods, muffler mods, dropping gaskets, transfer work etc to gain performance.

You can change port durations and timing but TBH, you can lose hours chasing your arse every time you have to put the timing wheel on, zero it and take another set of figures down so avoid doing this as you can get some pretty decent gains from just doing the work I do....as you know. I can and have done timing wheel work but it takes much more time and would double my normal rates.

Some customers will pay silly money for the last 20% but if I give something like 80% of what is relatively available for a decent price.....it works commercially. A bit like Henry Fords Model T....it isn't a Silver Lady but it gets you from A to B for a reasonable price!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...