Holm Oaks x 2

Watertower62

Question

I applied to fell 2 Holm Oaks in a Conservation Area. The council didn’t reply within the required 6 weeks - therefore according to Government legislation I have 2 years to complete the work. Another 6 weeks later, the council suddenly placed a TPO on both the trees. I decided the council were wrong and organised a tree surgeon to fell the trees. The tree surgeon has arranged for electric disconnection on the first day for safety. The LPA tree officer has now contacted my tree surgeon and bullied/threatened him if he completes the work.
Anyone come across this before?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Well we need to cut some of them down and get them milled and turned into turning blanks as the grain is stunning.  I know they rarely will have good straight stems but this won't matter for small scale craft use.

Any timber from them we have always seems to split so I’ve never thought of doing anything with it, mostly give it away from site as it’s hard work vs reward as fire wood ?

4 minutes ago, Will C said:

Any timber from them we have always seems to split so I’ve never thought of doing anything with it, mostly give it away from site as it’s hard work vs reward as fire wood ?

Yes it does tend to split, but if you can get it milled or split the log down the middle so the two halves dry separately there will be usable timber there.  And when you do make something out of it, the grain is amazing.

• Thanks 1

Meant to update this before. The LPA Tree Officer & his assistant visited the site mid December 2020 - still couldn’t show us any legislation that shows they can place a TPO well after the 6 week period of the Section 211 ..... like anyone on this forum.

TO said he’d like 2 Holm Oaks replaced, we said no, take us to court.

Our original application was to replace with Rowan Trees - he didn’t want those.

TO then suggested replacing with a Holly Tree & a Magnolia Grandiflora - a result for all!

Three months later we were sent an email asking us to buy and plant the trees in the middle of March and send photos to confirm.

Holly & Magnolia are planted & 54 sacks of logs chopped by ourselves during lockdown 🙌🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wonky said:

I had a read of the blue book chapter 9, 

I can’t believe the cheating TO tried to pull the wool over your eyes.

I guess  he will remember his slack approach in future 👍

You do realise the blue book was withdrawn in 2012!  It no longer has any legal standing.