Tractor / timber trailer advice.

lux

Nail on the head. People just assume because its a 14 tonne trailer you fill it with a few sticks and thats what it will weigh.

To go with that I would not want to pull more than 4-5 tonnes with a 100hp tractor on the road , especially if there is hills! From experience it’s not fun trying not to crawl up at 10 kph then go over 60kph and try and stop on the way down.

18 hours ago, lux said:

That’s the general idea. A large percentage of my customers have large properties in small villages / rural locations. So yes not ringing up on site would be a real plus, saving time and effort.
If I was moving huge amounts of timber from a site I would most likely just contract that to someone.
The tractor will do other duties such as running a post knocker etc as well.

In that case you just need a forwarding trailer which can handle the capacity of a tree. The weight in relation to the size of a 100hp tractor would make brakes on the trailer irrelevant as the tractor brakes would be sufficient. However the law has moved on and trailer brakes are now compulsory on public roads.

1 minute ago, MattyF said:

To go with that I would not want to pull more than 4-5 tonnes with a 100hp tractor on the road , especially if there is hills! From experience it’s not fun trying not to crawl up at 10 kph then go over 60kph and try and stop on the way down.

Quite agree thats why I have air brakes. We have steep hills here and I just dont trust hydraulic brakes.

• Like 1

People pay good money for that sort of ride at Thorpe Park [emoji38]
No long haulage just local stuff generally. I can easily get rid of trunks in long lengths so wherever possible I want to remove the process of ringing them up on site. I just want it to be safely done. Wasn’t too long ago another local firm had a serious accident with a tractor and timber trailer. Any smaller 100hp tractors running air brakes ?

2 hours ago, lux said:

People pay good money for that sort of ride at Thorpe Park emoji38.png
No long haulage just local stuff generally. I can easily get rid of trunks in long lengths so wherever possible I want to remove the process of ringing them up on site. I just want it to be safely done. Wasn’t too long ago another local firm had a serious accident with a tractor and timber trailer. Any smaller 100hp tractors running air brakes ?

Think Deutz have used air for years including the Intrac

I wouldn't bother about air brakes... hyd be fine. Some imports from germany run air and have propper checks done on their tractors to be fit on the road. 

100hp bit short on power for me. Had to have mine turbo'd to be workable. Quite a few hills where I am and handles well for the loads on the trailers

On 26/09/2020 at 18:53, lux said:

I’m thinking of buying a tractor and timber trailer with crane. Doesn’t need to be huge , prob around the 100hp mark. Do any of you good folk have some recommendations. ?

In general on this size set up what are the arrangements for trailer brakes. I’m assuming hydraulic as it’s generally larger tractors with air brakes.

Any advice at all is appreciated. Cheers.

Been reading the posts on this thread since it begun and one thing i aint read is, Is this for arb work or with in forestry ? as there are massive differences on the regulations between the 2 with using a tractor and forwarding trailer for haulage, Guy i know of up here got pulled with a tractor n trailer with a digger loaded on it about 2 year ago, so far its cost him 20 odd k and it aint finished yet, then another arb lad with a unimog now on his arse, 

• Like 1

Been reading the posts on this thread since it begun and one thing i aint read is, Is this for arb work or with in forestry ? as there are massive differences on the regulations between the 2 with using a tractor and forwarding trailer for haulage, Guy i know of up here got pulled with a tractor n trailer with a digger loaded on it about 2 year ago, so far its cost him 20 odd k and it aint finished yet, then another arb lad with a unimog now on his arse, 

Arb working. Just moving my own timber. I get your drift but will take my chances. Everyone is running kit they shouldn’t or not conforming to regs around here and I’ve never heard of anyone being stopped.
One firm runs 5 unimogs as there standard line up of vehicle for arb work. Never been looked at. Not saying it couldn’t happen just unlikely.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

I agree with what you say but, every AD plant is have maize carted in by tractors ran on red and running 12_14 hours a day which is not agricultural.