Tractor / timber trailer advice.

lux

10 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Get a trailer/crane setup you can operate from the cab (no matter how basic) - it speeds things up no end.

It is quicker but unless you spend 4k on full electric controls it would be a pain to put on each time and you would have to always have the window open normally to fit it. Also unless you have reverse drive it's very uncomfortable to sit backwards. It's a trade-off between speed and comfort.

Is the trailer for extracting to roadside within a wood or transporting from roadside on public roads back to a farm. I have timber forwarder for operation within the wood where brakes on the trailer are really irrelevant. Road trailer different matter as high speed and 3 times the weight of the forwarding trailer. ie 3x 3mtr bunks rather than 1x 3mtr bunk. With road trailer timber crane on tractor 3 point link so you can go alongside the trailer to load each bunk.

• Like 1

_20200927_171012.jpeg.5beb9f213cf2ed5f0993aaf46101e074.jpeg

WWW.LLOYD.LTD.UK

Could be a really useful trailer for you as can carry all sorts with having a solid floor

What gdh says is true but operating from outside the cab Will require the crane to be Lola checked as your not protected by a rops/fops cab, easy enough to mount the controls on a frame that lifts up and down on the link arms so you can shut the window for travel and nealing on the seat to opparate the crane when it's pissing it down is a lot nicer than standing on the drawbar getting wet and a lot safer!

Is the trailer for extracting to roadside within a wood or transporting from roadside on public roads back to a farm. I have timber forwarder for operation within the wood where brakes on the trailer are really irrelevant. Road trailer different matter as high speed and 3 times the weight of the forwarding trailer. ie 3x 3mtr bunks rather than 1x 3mtr bunk. With road trailer timber crane on tractor 3 point link so you can go alongside the trailer to load each bunk.

Road use predominantly.

In that case go as large as your tractor will pull safely but with hgv standard air brakes so at least you can stop safely. Nothing more frustrating than having to do 3 journeys with a forwarding trailer when you only need to do one with a proper trailer.

Limited to yard space though. Haven’t got space for an hgv size trailer. From what I have seen most tractors in the size bracket I’m looking at don’t run air brakes either.

Limited to yard space though. Haven’t got space for an hgv size trailer. From what I have seen most tractors in the size bracket I’m looking at don’t run air brakes either.
Not unless you go for a modern valtra or such like but 100 hp won't want to be pulling much more that 10 - 12 ton behind it, you won't want to go to big either if you going into driveway or villages as a HGV style trailer just won't fit. If you were second handling after a smaller machine and running 100s of tons back to your yard or into a mill then yes the bigger the better but I'm guessing your wanting to shift single trees to save ringing them up and hand loading on site.
Something like I posted the link for would work really well as you'd be able to carry odd shaped and length stuff because your not replying on them sitting on the ribs of a conventional timber trailer, can lift bags of tidy up crap on, take small plant to site so very versatile.
Unless your hauling 20 od miles having to go back for a second load isn't going to ruin your social life compared to the savings in time being able to lift and shift with a machine over doing it yourself by hand

Not unless you go for a modern valtra or such like but 100 hp won't want to be pulling much more that 10 - 12 ton behind it, you won't want to go to big either if you going into driveway or villages as a HGV style trailer just won't fit. If you were second handling after a smaller machine and running 100s of tons back to your yard or into a mill then yes the bigger the better but I'm guessing your wanting to shift single trees to save ringing them up and hand loading on site.
Something like I posted the link for would work really well as you'd be able to carry odd shaped and length stuff because your not replying on them sitting on the ribs of a conventional timber trailer, can lift bags of tidy up crap on, take small plant to site so very versatile.
Unless your hauling 20 od miles having to go back for a second load isn't going to ruin your social life compared to the savings in time being able to lift and shift with a machine over doing it yourself by hand

That’s the general idea. A large percentage of my customers have large properties in small villages / rural locations. So yes not ringing up on site would be a real plus, saving time and effort.
If I was moving huge amounts of timber from a site I would most likely just contract that to someone.
The tractor will do other duties such as running a post knocker etc as well.

19 hours ago, gdh said:

Something else to mention is with hardwood you'll only be carrying about half the capacity of the trailer most the time. Our 14ton (Inc crane) only carries about 5-6 most the time.

DSC_6095.JPG

Nail on the head. People just assume because its a 14 tonne trailer you fill it with a few sticks and thats what it will weigh.