Changing bar and chain

DocMustard

Afternoon all. I'm looking around for a replacement bar and chain for my (please don't take the proverbial!) Stihl MS181. It's got a .050 gauge chain and bar fitted as it came new. I'm finding that I can get better prices and a wider choice of chain cutter types if I get a .063 gauge. Obviously the pitch would remain the same. Is going up a gauge from .050 to .063 an issue? Uses are light felling, limbing and firewood cutting. Thanks. 

Edited by DocMustard

36 minutes ago, DocMustard said:

Afternoon all. I'm looking around for a replacement bar and chain for my (please don't take the proverbial!) Stihl MS181. It's got a .050 gauge chain and bar fitted as it came new. I'm finding that I can get better prices and a wider choice of chain cutter types if I get a .063 gauge. Obviously the pitch would remain the same. Is going up a gauge from .050 to .063 an issue? Uses are light felling, limbing and firewood cutting. Thanks. 

.063 is quite a bit wider, and will have larger cutting teeth that will need more power to make the cut. For a small saw i'd keep it .050, nice low profile chain means narrow kerf and a nice quick cut.

I imagine that going to .063 would also mean that you'd need a much larger bar (20"+ maybe) that would be too big for that saw. Not sure there'd be anything compatible. My .063 bars are 36" long.

We have an MS181, it's a great little saw!

Edited by Moose McAlpine