DIY GRCS

Paddy1000111

My winch earnt its keep today, very tight drop zone maybe 2x1m due to the choock shed, and that fart to hard fall apart hazel fence

IMG-20201207-WA0008.thumb.jpg.127e8b69e4a4abc6a70ac744521c8341.jpg

Initially lowered most of it into the pen, then redirected the line to be able to lift them over the fence into the truck. 

IMG-20201207-WA0006.thumb.jpg.1822fbc33ea489311ceaa8c67c30ea57.jpg

IMG-20201207-WA0007.thumb.jpg.07309196949164f5efffa6cdbb73d338.jpg

Winch managed 19" by maybe 1.5m lengths only robinia wouldn't want to do that with oak. 

I wouldn't want to be without one now, only issue is the drum has a huge amount of friction not helped by frozen stiff ropes. 

Have one more to make up and better fairleads the other one winch is better designed 

Edited by mtt.tr
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Good effort! With everything else going on at the moment I haven't even started on my project 😂. What are you planning with your fairleads? 

As soon as they had arrived in the post within a week i had my first one lasered and welded. 

The infeed and  outfeed fairleds must keep the rope in correct locations to keep the drum tidy. 

1 minute ago, mtt.tr said:

Making the control side more like the grcs 

I just looked and you can buy a GRCS fairlead pigtail for the fair price of, wait for it, £192.... 😂 Why can I buy 3-4 genuine full cylinder and piston kits for a chainsaw for the same price as some 8mm rod bent into a pigtail and powder coated?!

17 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I just looked and you can buy a GRCS fairlead pigtail for the fair price of, wait for it, £192.... 😂 Why can I buy 3-4 genuine full cylinder and piston kits for a chainsaw for the same price as some 8mm rod bent into a pigtail and powder coated?!

Yeah thats the price for 8mm bar and a mini oxy propane kit.  Madness 

When im happy with mine im going to look at either zinc plate or powder coat 

1 minute ago, mtt.tr said:

Yeah thats the price for 8mm bar and a mini oxy propane kit.  Madness 

When im happy with mine im going to look at either zinc plate or powder coat 

I was 50/50 between the two. I think hot dipping would be better long term but powdercoat would be more flashy. Nothing worse than having powdercoat starting to peel off when you chip/ding it and the rust starts! 

Just now, Paddy1000111 said:

I was 50/50 between the two. I think hot dipping would be better long term but powdercoat would be more flashy. Nothing worse than having powdercoat starting to peel off when you chip/ding it and the rust starts! 

I sort of ruled out hot dip as i can forsee it will make ropes very black. 

2 minutes ago, mtt.tr said:

I sort of ruled out hot dip as i can forsee it will make ropes very black. 

Possibly? It's all the same stuff though, just 2 different methods AFAIK. I've not seen things go black from hot dip? My Flying capstan is hot dipped and rope blackening isn't an issue I have had. I know that you get 5x more protection from hot dipping though, even if electro-plating is shinier. Could always make it out of stainless like a 304L or a 316L and just make it shiny ;)