Advice on very large hedge laying

dave28

Thanks everybody, some real sound ideas here.

Don't know about the D6 but an old County crawler would be handy for burning up.

I'm new to this site and am well surprised at how much knowledge is on tap.

This site is on the Heritage Coast and right next to some camping and caravan sites so although it doesn't need to be stock proof the owner will certainly need it to be grockle proof!

I've got a power pole pruner and like the idea of cutting some of em of high and then laying,should stop the grocks from trampling through gaps, I doubt there is money for fencing off.

Seen a reference somewhere about leaving "live stakes" to hold the whole lot steady in windy areas,anyone think that's a good idea.

If it was me I would aim to lay it in the traditional Dorset style which is low and without stakes. It really depends how dense the hedge is but you can probably coppice alot and lay over the top of the stumps. Dont worry to much about keeping the pleachers alive. even if they die you will still get regrowth from the base.

I have seen bailer twine, butchers hooks and hazzel hoops used to hold down the pleechers. I think the traditional way is to pin down hazzel hoops with wooden pegs.

Dont skimp on the spade work.

Lots of the hedges you see layed in Dorset end up with gaps between the pleachers and the bank. I think the idea of laying the hedge low is that the pleechers at the base will root along there length. If you dig out the ditch and pile up soil to the lowest pleacher you should get rooting and end up with a denser more stock proof fence. The rooting should also stabilise the bank.

• 3 years later...