Sawmill setup issues- help please!

thomasvdb7

Hi there, 

I've bought a HM130 and have assembled it. I think i've got the adjustments right but the machine keeps throwing blades. Does anybody have some wisdom on this? Also, can I put the blade back on when it's been thrown off? They seem to get a pretty good kink in them- can I just hammer that out and then put it on or is the blade now scrap? 

Separately- like a right wally, I didn't get the mill exactly square- I'm only finding out now that I have everything together! The manual helpfully states 'make the necessary adjustments'. question is, is there really any way of getting it all square without taking it back to nothing and building it up again? 

Thank you so much! 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, thomasvdb7 said:

Hi there, 

I've bought a HM130 and have assembled it. I think i've got the adjustments right but the machine keeps throwing blades. Does anybody have some wisdom on this? Also, can I put the blade back on when it's been thrown off? They seem to get a pretty good kink in them- can I just hammer that out and then put it on or is the blade now scrap? 

Separately- like a right wally, I didn't get the mill exactly square- I'm only finding out now that I have everything together! The manual helpfully states 'make the necessary adjustments'. question is, is there really any way of getting it all square without taking it back to nothing and building it up again? 

Thank you so much! 

Hi,

If it's throwing blades it'll be down to two things tracking is the most common problem. Have you correctly tracked both wheels, do the drive wheel first and get that aligned and then the follow wheel, this will be the one that will need constant tweaking depending on which blades you use. The second but less common thing that could be causing the problem is engine alignment, is the engine and therefore drive pulley square on and inline with the drive wheel, friends of mine had a constant problem with this.  Unless the band is badly bent there shouldn't be any reason not to use it again.

As for squaring up the machine I think the easiest way to do that is slacken off the bolts and square the unit that way.

No doubt as is the way of this forum someone else will be along shortly and give you their opinion.

Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thomasvdb7 said:

Hi there, 

Thank you so much! 

Youtube videos showing full setup guides for your saw 

3 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

F##c sounds like a nightmare,when I first had my hm130 it took me ages to get the tracking right  now I am waiting for my hm130 max I hope I dont have any issues,Chris at woodland mills was telling me that the hm130 max comes all tracked in from the factory .

Got it ordered then mark 

18 hours ago, thomasvdb7 said:

Hi there, 

Thank you so much! 

When our blade was coming off it was because we had tightened the bolt above the tensioning handle which you're supposed to leave slack. You could also try running it with less tension, we just hand tighten it, and check there's no oil on the new blades.

DSC_7937.JPG

Thank you so much gents. Really appreciate your comments and help. On the 130max the drive wheel bearing is set and has a big sticker saying not to change it so I'm only adjusting the follower wheel. 

I'll clean off the blades with carb cleaner before putting on in case that helps.

What kind of tolerances are people working too with their adjustments? So, the manual says 9.5mm on the blade should be protruding beyond the drive and follower wheels. Do you get this exactly right and do you expect to be adjusting the tracking most days you use the mill? 

I feel like there would be a market for somebody who knows these mills well to go round helping people to build them and walking them through the setup and fine tuning! 

For getting it square, I'll just put the legs down and get it level then loosen off all the bolts holding the cross members and just try and square it with a ratchet- does that sound semi sensible?? 

Thanks so much for bearing with my inexperience and questions! 

I can’t answer with any experience or authority but if I was wanting to set a framework like a mill up to be true, I’d want to do it on a nice flat floor to take as much guesswork out of the equation as possible. I’m sure it’s possible without but you’d think that it puts things in your favour.