Climber Down

Darrin Turnbull

4 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Anyway, back on topic. I didn't mean this to be a "mines better than yours" "I'm better than you" thing...  Just explaining how I SRT when I'm unsure of anchor and how I feel it's safer than DDRT as we were discussing the dangers of srt. 

At least this seems like a clean cut case of climber error... 

I would be interested to hear of anything that happens in a tree that isn’t, to a certain extent, climber error.
Short of a crane driver dropping a ball on his head.

• Like 4

On 24/09/2020 at 13:58, Darrin Turnbull said:

Here’s a picture of the branch/twig he was tied into.

I was speaking to his boss today and his Wife doesn’t want him to climb anymore.

Like i said  before there shouldn’t be any physical permanent damage.

I only hope that something good happens for him.

5707A8AE-4F38-4B60-BAB9-1A97E02260F5.jpeg

EF7679BF-555A-4D23-B997-3C9C9BA80360.jpeg

Im thinking his mistake was he though he had looped it around the main stem first?

• Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 18:32, Khriss said:

I prefer a base anchor and cambium saver+karabiner,   as I can advance up to next anchor point if needed. Bit of faff, but am naturally cautious. SRT is not easy easy as some portray it. Poor lad had a close one there :( K

Climbing SRT can be as simple or as complex as you make it.  

In 6 years I have never used a cambium saver.  I like to keep it simple.

I am not surprised you find it difficult faffing around like that.  Plenty of options for safe and secure climbing and if you want to over complicate things there are plenty of ideas on the inter webs.

KISS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Climbing SRT can be as simple or as complex as you make it.  

In 6 years I have never used a cambium saver.  I like to keep it simple.

I am not surprised you find it difficult faffing around like that.  Plenty of options for safe and secure climbing and if you want to over complicate things there are plenty of ideas on the inter webs.

KISS.

... Didnt say it was ' difficult'  I said it was a 'faff' ..... If it was 'difficult' I would get someone else to do it ! K

Correct, you didn’t say it was difficult but you said it wasn’t as easy as some portray it.

Ergo, you imply the opposite of easy, which is difficult.

I totally agree that trying to advance a cambium save as an SRT anchor would be a faff.  

Whereas, a throw line through a decent fork or two and tied back at the base is about as simple as it gets.  If you want to back up the base tie and turn into a top anchor, pull a bit of slack through and tie an alpine butterfly and either an extra bina and pinto pulley or a Singing tree quickie.  Hardly any additional hardware, reduces the loading forces on the anchor and you still have a back up of the base tie if you do desire.  Alternatively get a ground guy to untie the base anchor.

I just find it hard to understand why people would employ the cambium saver for SRT.  They are a nightmare to install for doubled rope and I find it hard to see the perceived benefit over a decent anchor point and base anchor.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

find it hard to understand why people would employ the cambium saver for SRT.  They are a nightmare to install for doubled rope and I find it hard to see the perceived benefit over a decent anchor point and base anchor.

Depends, I only bother using a cambium saver as a tie in when I'm not sure about the tree or its tie ins if there's only one branch available for a tie in and it looks a little shifty (not as shifty as the one in this post by a long shot though) then I use the cambium saver. I feel if I weigh half as much to the branch I'm less likely to take a tumble. Plus, once I'm secured I don't have to worry about climbing over my anchor or getting to my anchor to tie in before moving above it! 

I would always recommend SRT over a doubled rope, the benefits are there. But to be clear - it aint foolproof and there have been a few bad falls. Possibly its the lack of training or understanding. Seen guy shoot rope right over crown to a base tie then ascend which cant be a safe practise ( but it worked!!!)  But then doubled rope led us down the WAH regs debacle so dunno how one answer will fit all situations (  probably it wont   ? ) SRT does give yr body ( and yr ropes) an easier time tho.  K

• Like 1