Experienced UK climber in France: need more info

Domstrees92

Hi everybody,  

I've been working and living in France for a year now (learning French along the way) but I want to find out more about being a self employed arborist in France but in the Marseille region specifically as this is where I am living.  I have 5 years experience in the UK, Australia and France so I can climb and complete work to a good standard.  I am currently working for a large company but once my French is perfect I want to be a self employed climber as I feel this is the natural progression for me.

It would be great if anyone could give me any information on whether France use contract climbers.   

So my questions are:

Is it a thing in France for small/ large companies to use contract climbers in France/ Marseille region?

How much is the going rate in France for contract climbers?

Thanks guys,

Dom

Well, usually it’s @Ty Korrigan who doles out advice about the whys and wherefores of life out here.

Generally speaking employment law is a lot more strict out here, so the ‘subby’ who works on a semi permanent basis for firms in the UK would not be allowed in France.

I was doing a job for a landscaper/garden maintenance firm today as it goes, but it was my chipper and loader and my employee on the job as well as one of his.

My advice, start your own firm, get some equipment, sub the whole job, not just the climbing.

Opinions may vary.

B6AD45B1-A88E-4D93-98B7-11FB4242CA1C.jpeg

CA92AB2A-47CF-4469-A7FF-1131312DD786.jpeg

1D5A1A9E-A060-4A03-88DF-70A16F387C8F.jpeg

• Like 4

That’s great advice, one that I will take into the future with me but for the moment I’m only young and I want to travel a bit more so subbing is more suited to my lifestyle atm.
If I have full climbing équipement, rigging, big and small saws but no van or chipper, is it like England where companies use you for certain days in the week for normally the difficult jobs?
And I am based in France for the next few years so if I sort out my self employed tax file number in France and insurance cover, would I be eligible to work self employed over here as well?

Thanks for the info guys

Honestly I don’t know the answer to those questions.

Common sense would dictate that yes, it should work like in the UK to a certain extent.

Staying near a major city like Marseille will help you build up a network of companies to work for.

Travelling around and picking up work as you go would be more problematic (because of aforementioned labour laws) I would think, but maybe others have  done it with success.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, Domstrees92 said:

Hi everybody,  

I've been working and living in France for a year now (learning French along the way) but I want to find out more about being a self employed arborist in France but in the Marseille region specifically as this is where I am living.  I have 5 years experience in the UK, Australia and France so I can climb and complete work to a good standard.  I am currently working for a large company but once my French is perfect I want to be a self employed climber as I feel this is the natural progression for me.

It would be great if anyone could give me any information on whether France use contract climbers.   

So my questions are:

Is it a thing in France for small/ large companies to use contract climbers in France/ Marseille region?

How much is the going rate in France for contract climbers?

Thanks guys,

Dom

Hello,

Decent climbers are in hot demand generally.

I use 2 guys regularly, each has different strengths so I pick the jobs which suit.

One subs to 6 other firms as well as us.

The other has his own client base but we also work for each other, he is my climber, I'm his groundy, truck 'n' chipper.

Rates? well, you'll need to work that out for yourself taking into account your skill and productivity but anywhere from €200ht to €400ht

Regional variations, demand and tax regimes all play a part.

If you are worth your salt then you'll soon pass into the tva zone if you register as an entreprise individual on the micro BIC regime but don't worry, it is pretty simple accounting.

If you are going to invest, truck, chipper, employee or use subbies then you'll need the réel regime which is proper accounting with an accountant involved.

There is no requirement to prove your qualifications though the MSA 'mutual societie agricole' may demand this and even inspect you before letting into their organisation.

The MSA as you must already know are who you pay your cotisations too. They take care of your pension, family benefits and health.

You will be charged a flat rate of 25% of your turnover as an E.I micro BIC so it is in your interests to keep your costs down as you cannot offset any thing.

You will be tva free unless/until you pass your earnings limit of around €34k.

One of my lads did that in his first 9 months.

The other does all he can to avoid going over that limit.

Under the E.I regime réel you can offset costs and are subject to proper accounting and tva.

A visit to a pro-active accountant would be worth while.

Also there is a serious FB page 'Strictly Fiscal' for English speakers in France where you may find professional advice.

Feel free to contact me though.

Best of luck

Stuart

• Like 2

That’s excellent information really appreciate the time you’ve taken.

So my understanding from your last message in simple terms is:
If you work and earn under €34K as an independent worker, you just register as a sole trader and pay 25% tax.
When you say you cannot offset any assets, that mean you cannot claim the tax back on materials you buy for work?

But if you earn over €34K you must register as a business then all the accounting becomes a lot more complicated! Which I’d probably try to avoid like your mate!

But at 200€/400€ per day you can pass the €34K limit pretty easily !

Where about are you based in France Stuart?

Cheers Dom

On 24/09/2020 at 07:24, Domstrees92 said:

That’s excellent information really appreciate the time you’ve taken.

So my understanding from your last message in simple terms is:
If you work and earn under €34K as an independent worker, you just register as a sole trader and pay 25% tax.
When you say you cannot offset any assets, that mean you cannot claim the tax back on materials you buy for work?

But if you earn over €34K you must register as a business then all the accounting becomes a lot more complicated! Which I’d probably try to avoid like your mate!

But at 200€/400€ per day you can pass the €34K limit pretty easily !

Where about are you based in France Stuart?

Cheers Dom

The €34k limit is just for tva.

If you pass it as has one of my lads in only 9months, you just need to declare the tva.

The 'forfait' of 25% still applies up to around €70k.

Forfait is easy to work with but if your business costs exceed 50% of your turnover and or you wish to invest, going réel accounting is the way forward.

The accounting costs can be high depending on your own input and competance.

Forfait is this. €100 turned over.

€50 allowance for costs €25 for wage and €25 social charges.

A climber working locally will easily keep his costs low but chuck in travel, investments like truck chipper grinder then your expenses can easily exceed that allowance.

Personally, I advise starting as an E.I micro BIC and growing organically rather than jumping into more complicated regimes.

I'm based near Rennes, Liffré 35340

On Facebook franglaiselagage

Regards

Stuart

• Like 2