Fungus on Pagoda Tree

Golden Bough

Hello. I worked on a Pagoda Tree (Styphnolobium japonicum), in Cambridge, over the weekend. The upper crown was quite scrappy with low vigour, but the lower canopy was a lot healthier. There was a lot of deadwood throughout entire crown. I worked on this tree (a light thin) 3 to 4 years ago and it what a lot healthier looking then. I discovered a bracket at the base of the tree (images 1,2,3,4), another fungus close by (images 5,6,7) and then more traditional looking mushrooms around the tree (images 8,9,10).

I'll be honest, I have worked with trees for 20 years now but always neglected fungi, something I am trying to remedy since the beginning of the year. 

Any help with identifying these fungi would be greatly appreciated

20200920_155846.jpg

20200920_155324.jpg

20200920_155338.jpg

20200920_155402.jpg

20200920_155454.jpg

20200920_155559.jpg

20200920_155554.jpg

20200920_155821.jpg

20200920_155830.jpg

20200920_155835.jpg

Edited by Golden Bough

Hi Golden Bough

I'm afraid fungi ids can be very tricky given their often dramatic changes of form through the life stages, the frequency of lookalikes (expertise and a microscope may be necessary to separate), the ephemeral/unpredictable nature of their appearance (which impedes opportunities to get to know them intimately), natural variation within a species and more.

Ids from photos are yet more challenging, especially if - as here - they're rather desiccated and past their best.

Personally, i can only offer a few thoughts here, rather than confident ids (hopefully someone else can do better or at least give an opinion). 

Well that's the excuses done! ?. You deserve a reply.

Best guesses:

Suspect pics 5-7 are less developed examples of the species seen in 1-4.

IF so, then judging by the wavy, 'scalloped' look of the brownish brackets' upper surface, the overall general form/'feel', the base-of-the-tree location of the fruiting and what is possibly blackening upon bruising seen on the lower surface in 5-7, first impressions led me to consider that it might be a rather dwarf Giant Polypore (Meripilus giganteus). The apparent gill/slot-like underside was throwing me out though. However, I zoomed the pic and then it did look a bit more like the pore surface i would expect to find - just rather ripped n ragged in places with age. 

The other, ground dwelling fungi with their whitish caps, dark brown gills and big floppy ring hanging down the stem bear much resemblance to your common-or-garden 'shop' mushrooms and so are likely to be Agaricus. Impossible to name the species from these photos alone though sorry. You'd need a lot of field information around habitat/soil type/tree species in the vicinity etc,  plus close up shots detailing every part of the fungus including the inside of one cut in half and preferably a range of specimens from 'button' stage to mature to even stand a chance. 

Agrocybe would be my 'runner up' id, although the stem ring looks too substantial for that really.

Cheers

Ben 

I'm even less help with the fungi I'm afraid but if you ever become aware of the tree being removed please, please let a good woodworker know; the timber is amazing and simply could not be allowed to go to waste.

Thanks and sorry about the lack of help for your current problem.

Thank you Ben for the ID. I have been researching Meripilus giganteus in my spare moments. I understand there is much debate as too its dangers. I will meet with the property owners where the tree resides next weekend (I never much liked the idea of tree ownership). The tree is within 5 metres to 2 houses and I hope to be informed as possible when I speak to them. There is a williness on their part to retain tree, this was pre identification however. 

Apologies Nepia for the tardiness in replying. I have only recently set up business and find I have little time to sit at the computer after work, family and home commitments. I appreciate your concern for what might become of the Wood and will make sure whatever the outcome it won't go to waste. 

Thank you Derek, though it seems I will need to more homework. 

Any help with ID ing this fungi and it's possible effects are greatly appreciated. 

Thank you