Lo Pro Bar maximum length bar Stihl ms661cm

Stuarts

21 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

right then, what are these Lo Pro set ups like?

thinking about getting a 36" set up for my 660? it's ported so got got some good poke (to lowest limits so it's fine for milling before u kick off) 

i have an 880 as well set up with a 36, anyone here run a 660 with a lo pro 36 and also a 880 running 404 on a 36, if so, if u have both of them sitting there, what do u pick up?

really interested as i've thought about selling 880 as i don't use it much and then changing over to lo pro on 660

over and out

Hi @Stihl123

I'm using a bog standard MS660 on a 42" lo-pro setup in a Panther mill ...all from @Rob D

I wouldn't say it struggles at all. I would say that it glides through most of the stuff I've cut easily.

Oak, Pine and Leb Cedar. Some were full bar (36" of cut available) and with the winch to steady things it was no trouble.

I couldn't find an 880 and so have made do. 

I'm on my own and as has been said much more bar would lead me to cut bigger slabs which I couldn't move. 

So far 9ft x 2.5 ft 2" Oak nearly killed me....bigger would be the beginning of Flat Bob!

Good luck whichever way you go. 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2020 at 21:28, Stuarts said:

I have seen the stihl ms 661 use the GB Lo Pro bar at 64” .50 gauge

Has anyone used a larger bar .63 gauge using the 661 or is the 64” bar .50 as large as it will take before needing an ms880?

We do have 64" lo pro bars that will fit all the 90cc saws both Stihl and Husky [using either a GB1214 or GB914 adapter] . BUT don't tend to advertise them much because it's not a case of 'if it fits so you can run it.

It's variables and probabilities and words we're not allowed to use anymore 'common sense' and 'personal responsibility'

If you have 8 big 4ft trees to mill and want 2" slabs = you will likely break your saw, or you or both! If you have x2 4ft trees to mill into 4" or 8" planks then that is probably doable. But that's not to say a good operator would not manage the x8 trees and be fine or the bad operator break something doing the x2 trees!

The better you are at maintenance, chain sharpening, if you have an aux oiler, if you look after your saw etc etc the more you could use this on a 660 and be fine but with limited sensible use.

It has an MS880 large Stihl mount but again don't really advertise it much as I like to know who is buying it. Otherwise we get a call a few months later with 'mate my piston has scored and my local dealer who has been servicing saws for 40 years says no way should I have been sold this long a bar for my MS660' or 'you shouldn't be selling a bar that can fit on an 880 with lo pro chain'.

• Like 2

WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

HSS64-63WR 64"[162cm] GB Slotted Extra Long 5 Foot Bar 3/8 Lo Pro .050 204 drive links

A couple of times customers have said they find the 196 drive link chain does not fit - really you need to have breaking and mending kit to run these as the chain does stretch over time regardless if you start with 196 or 197 drive links.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2020 at 08:16, Bob_z_l said:

Hi @Stihl123

I'm using a bog standard MS660 on a 42" lo-pro setup in a Panther mill ...all from @Rob D

I wouldn't say it struggles at all. I would say that it glides through most of the stuff I've cut easily.

Oak, Pine and Leb Cedar. Some were full bar (36" of cut available) and with the winch to steady things it was no trouble.

I couldn't find an 880 and so have made do. 

I'm on my own and as has been said much more bar would lead me to cut bigger slabs which I couldn't move. 

So far 9ft x 2.5 ft 2" Oak nearly killed me....bigger would be the beginning of Flat Bob!

Good luck whichever way you go. 

hi bob, thanks alot for that, proper helpful cheers :thumbup: