How many languages do you speak?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How many ?

• Just the one!
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five or more

2. Fluent in Swedish, 3 months of twice weekly evening classes, then just trying.

As a consequence i can understand Norwegian, especially written and a little Danish (If Swedish is the queens English, Danish is like trying to understand a drunk Irishman dipping in and out of consciousness)

Tourist level of french - its amazing how nice and helpful the French are if you try, even try badly!

I found it quite cool once knowing Swedish and a little French, you can kind of work out written text in other languages too.

English as mother tongue and I can get by in French and German (both of which from living and studying / working in respective countries).

I’m not in arb though; I’m in the energy industry.

Interesting to hear the comparison about English, German and Swedish - I often think that Dutch ought to be understandable if I listen hard enough...

portuguese as mother, english learned alone with 7 & a black & white tv with all Elvis movies, german in school age 13, italian with a italian girlfriend, spanish age 19 on holidays.

I can also read romanian &  translate simultaneous but cant understand a word when they speak except palinka

• Like 1

A Language made me move country once...Worst mistake of my life in many ways...I was living a great life in Holland with a nice looking future and after 2 and a half years I felt it was either time to stay for ever and learn the Language, or go. I hated the sound of the Dutch Language from day one and even though every Dutch person I knew was more than happy to speak English I felt it was wrong to stay and not learn the Language, so to the North of England my Cockney self went thinking all would be good and well back in Blighty...speaking English with my fellow countryman and not feeling guilty about not learning the local lingo ect.

But...I was wrong...They speak with such an accent in some parts around here that it may as well be another language, felt like a foreigner many a time... google translate is of no use up ere. 

English as mother tongue and I can get by in French and German (both of which from living and studying / working in respective countries).

I’m not in arb though; I’m in the energy industry.

Interesting to hear the comparison about English, German and Swedish - I often think that Dutch ought to be understandable if I listen hard enough...
My son is doing German A-level and is/was studying Dutch for fun on and off, he reckons there is quite a lot of overlap.

I did French and German at school and have since holidayed in France and Germany, done a bit of work in Germany too. Can get by, wouldn't starve in either country and managed to get tyres fixed.