Fuelwood log cleaner or similar(or homemade)

cessna

Do many of you use a log cleaner which is situated at the end of your firewood processor to allow small bits of wood to be separated from the logs?

Most of my log customers like  the small bits to use as kindling but,a few customers are saying no small bits please.  I have noticed that if the 4way splitting is set to split logs 4 ways,which it is most of the time that there is always a lot more slithers/bits than if I put a through the splitting knife twice in the down position.

How do you get over the above problem??

If you do use a log cleaner do you , put the bits in fine mesh or plastic bags e.g used poultry  feed bags and sell them as fire lighting bits, so as get get  a bit  of income from  the cleanings? 

Many thanks for any comments/suggestions      

Edited by cessna
additional information

My plan is to separate after drying and offer this service as an extra. More stuff comes loose in the drying process and all the slivers will then be dried. Tip the logs over a sieving ramp placed over a spare IBC firing into a perfect cubic meter tub. Reality is we never get complaints so still not made it but have bought the metal to do it haha

Maybe just ditch the fussy customers or charge more for the extra hassle/cost involved. People may well   be fussy about kindling als and this not want screenings as kindling...

Or  have to spend on some kind or trommel screen

Edited by Stere

Do many of you use a log cleaner which is situated at the end of your firewood processor to allow small bits of wood to be separated from the logs?
Most of my log customers like  the small bits to use as kindling but,a few customers are saying no small bits please.  I have noticed that if the 4way splitting is set to split logs 4 ways,which it is most of the time that there is always a lot more slithers/bits than if I put a through the splitting knife twice in the down position.
How do you get over the above problem??
If you do use a log cleaner do you , put the bits in fine mesh or plastic bags e.g used poultry  feed bags and sell them as fire lighting bits, so as get get  a bit  of income from  the cleanings? 
Many thanks for any comments/suggestions      
There are always going to be small slithers once you split logs, and once they're dry, bark, to a greater or lesser degree depending on species.

You either need to tell your customers that are awkward that it's what they get and you'd charge more to hand load/sort it out or get sone sort of trommel or roller cleaner and do it for everyone.

We do the latter. For the last 2 years we've used an old trommel with is now available for sale. We've bulk loaded using a 360 digger into a hopper at the top but it works far far better off the end of a processor conveyor as the feed rate is more constant so you never get a blockage.

We've now replaced with an EHS 9-60 roller cleaner which doesn't do anywhere near as good a job of knocking the crap off or taking sub 40mm slithers out but it's got a far higher work rate, which was our principle reason for change. It is also much smaller.

Will try put pictures of both up tomorrow evening and what they clean out.

why don't you just tell them it's a tenner extra for the ones with no free kindling. I would.
People aren't that loyal. They'd go elsewhere before they paid extra.

Better to do it for everyone and put the price up across the board to make it more worthwhile doing it economically.

Any pics/price/location of the trommel?
We're up in the North East. 25mins from Scotch corner.

£1000 plus vat takes it.

Its got a hopper for bulk feeding and raised higher to accommodate bags underneath for collecting all the crap.

Could be taken off the extra frame and hopper removed for cleaning after a processor but it's the same price regardless.

240v 13amp power supply. 7e0543685b67cce718cac7c6643c6c43.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 20/09/2020 at 21:30, SbTVF said:

We're up in the North East. 25mins from Scotch corner.

£1000 plus vat takes it.

Its got a hopper for bulk feeding and raised higher to accommodate bags underneath for collecting all the crap.

Could be taken off the extra frame and hopper removed for cleaning after a processor but it's the same price regardless.

240v 13amp power supply. 7e0543685b67cce718cac7c6643c6c43.jpg

Is this still available?