Sharpening

Big Beech

After that large maccy log and two oak lengths the chain was filling pretty rapidly.

I bought myself the granberg electric sharpener many years ago and recently adorned it with the new diamond bit.

After tickling the chain today was its first outing and it was very grabby in the cut and not as smooth as hoped.

New chain and I  haven't touched the takers.

Any ideas why this may be?

I also have the granberg sharpener and the diamond bits. You get two different grades, fine and course. Obviously the course if for rapid removal of a lot of material, ie you've hit metal or a stone etc.The fine is self evident.

I know granberg recomend using a caliper to check and then fine tune the grinder after you have done a pass on one side of the chain and flip it to the opposite 10 degree's. You'd assume the length of tooth left would be the same but its not always and you need to fine tune the grinder.

Could this potentially be a cause? 

13 hours ago, Big Beech said:

Fine grade, and nothing hit. Was just literally a tickle.Stihl ripping chain.

Maybe just sharper than you're getting from factory? Ive heard a few folk say they sharpen brand new chains as they're not sharp enough for them. How true this is I dont know, but you do see the rough finish, even on Stihl chains compared to the diamond fine tickle with the granberg. 

Whenever I sharpen with the Granberg I get the grabby effect a well now I think about it. Seems to suck the saw into the first cut after a sharpen, then settles down and you need to apply regular pressure to the winch/saw. 

Edited by trigger_andy

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Maybe just sharper than you're getting from factory? Ive heard a few folk say they sharpen brand new chains as they're not sharp enough for them. How true this is I dont know, but you do see the rough finish, even on Stihl chains compared to the diamond fine tickle with the granberg. 

Whenever I sharpen with the Granberg I get the grabby effect a well now I think about it. Seems to suck the saw into the first cut after a sharpen, then settles down and you need to apply regular pressure to the winch/saw. 

It does feel sharp I must say, flew through the bit oak with the 070.

I am sure it will settle down.

• Like 1