Husqvarna R53SV mower refurbishment

HDAV

7 minutes ago, GardenKit said:

If you establish a market for these type of mowers as spares I can supply you with dozens each year for £20 each. You would have to collect them though. At present they just get skipped and most are in much better condition than yours with perfect engines.

As I said if you have an R53SV I’ll have it collecting isn’t a problem from Devon but why £20? Skips cost money ?......

7 minutes ago, Stere said:

Maybe its intentional as mowers that are built 2 last  isn't good for buisness .

Think you might be right especially as the only spare you can’t buy is the Deck that rusts out and the “professional workshops” send straight to the skip...... ???

17 minutes ago, HDAV said:

As I said if you have an R53SV I’ll have it collecting isn’t a problem from Devon but why £20? Skips cost money ?......

If I ever get one I will let you know.
Why £20? Because its £20 more than I get now. Its just not worth the time to try to do anything with them, and I only sell top notch used stuff.

My skip costs me nothing, but the guy who empties it gives me nothing either. Works for me.
Its different on this side of the game.

Managed to grab an hour today and get the front axle/drive off made a start on cleaning up the body some bits better than I thought some worse, par for the course I guess ?‍♂️ Only the side flap is left but the nuts have lost their hex and it’s a gamble the threads are sound ? would make life easier if it was off....

712AC35A-4D39-40B8-88D4-09F26DA5B5F5.jpeg

3D8A374B-7336-4CDE-B61C-638AF178DA6E.jpeg

Edited by HDAV

15 minutes ago, HDAV said:

Managed to grab an hour today and get the front axle/drive off made a start on cleaning up the body some bits better than I thought some worse, par for the course I guess ?‍♂️ Only the side flap is left but the nuts have lost their hex and it’s a gamble the threads are sound ? would make life easier if it was off....

712AC35A-4D39-40B8-88D4-09F26DA5B5F5.jpeg

3D8A374B-7336-4CDE-B61C-638AF178DA6E.jpeg

Hats off to you bud for having a go at it . feck all these niegh sayers ( all due respect Barry ) . If you can get some more life out of it why not bud .

Edited by Stubby

On 18/09/2020 at 15:38, openspaceman said:

I'd be interested in seeing the front drive refurbished. I have acquired a honda engined champion and the drive doen't work. I'm looking for options to get it driving again.

Is this one veebelt driven off the engine and drive engaged by tensioning the belt with the bowden cable?

I have the drive off the mower and while I’ll clean all the old grass off and possibly whip the cover off for a look i wasn’t planning on doing more with the drive at this stage the belt was off the motor end when it arrived and with a broken wheel I wasn’t able to test it 

just to add anyone know why sort of material the grass bags are made of as there are a couple of holes that need patching, may be possible to

stitch them up but I’m less of a seamstress than I am mechanic ???

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Hats off to you bud for having a go at it . feck all these niegh sayers ( all due respect Barry ) . If ypou can get some more life out of it why not bud .

It’s not a business it’s not a sound economic prospect either, I can see us being in lock down again soon and if this saves a few evenings of boredom and my financial investment is modest under £100 it’s cheaper than a few trips to the pub and dinners out. After this I think I’ll have a bash at an outboard motor ready for next spring.

For me it’s a learning exercise the first one was more necessity and time frame was limited if i had failed over a bank holiday weekend it was off to buy a new one on the Tuesday.... as it was by Tuesday evening the grass was being mowed. I will need a couple of Parts for this one and it will take a while for them to appear at the right moneys Or I sell the parts and probably get more than I would for a working mower ?

Edited by HDAV
  • Like 3