Stihl 066 starting issues

waterbuoy

1 hour ago, Wonky said:

If the husky’s good, I’d send the 066 off to that same person, for a full service. ?

Rest assured that is where it will be going if necessary - we are already 'in dialogue'. 

However, I have some work for it to do over the next week - we are taking down half a dozen large spruce trees around our house (about 120' high with a dbh of around 3') so I will need the big saw for that.

Ashamed to admit that I managed to get somewhat distracted today due to a new arrival at the other end of the scale - a Makita DUC306 cordless top-handle.  What a great piece of kit for the money (£170 plus VAT).  I spent the afternoon clearing the lower branches from some of the spruce and one very large (I think) Leylandi (taller than the spruce) and only had to change the batteries once.

Take an old plug, bend the end electrode out at 45 degrees or take it off completely then place it in the cap, earth it and pull the saw over hard and fast. If it sparks - there aint much wrong with the flywheel or coil!

I wouldn't get too hung up on these parts unless you have no spark, the saw has strange cutting out issues or fails when hot.