Stihl 066 starting issues

waterbuoy

Evening all

I have had my 066 since new (around 1998I think) and it has always been a bit reluctant to start for the first time each day (bit like me really).  No issues once it has been used - even if I go to start it some hours later, and it will run all day if I need it to with no issues - it is just a case of getting the thing to start for the first time!

'Symptoms' are that it will initially fire/cough with choke fully set, regardless of whether or not decomp is used.  Thereafter it is a complete ballache to start - whether I leave the choke on or push the lever up one to the throttle only setting.  Of late it has become a complete lottery - some days it will reluctantly start, other days it doesn't want to know.  Fresh fuel mix and fuel system has been drained through to carb so I don't think that is the issue, and plug was recently changed.

Any (relevant) thoughts appreciated.  Thanks

Thanks - I'll start hunting (don't think that Stihl still make the original part so it will most likely have to be a copy)

I was dreading someone suggesting it might be the timing!

Phone stihlGB,
They have all sorts of old parts in stock.
Might... might get lucky
[emoji106]

Magneto - like on those French mopeds?

Couple of things, when the saw coughs on full choke, when you knock the choke lever up one notch and it does get going, does it just idle or does the engine rev up on a 1/4 throttle speed? 

If he engine just idles on what is the fast idle setting (one notch up from full choke), it will be the control shaft - the lever that holds the throttle open often breaks off these early machines meaning the fast idle setting isn't there.

The other thing if this lever is OK is that often the low speed adjustment is a bit lean making starting cold pretty difficult. Richen it up a bit, increase the idle and bingo.

• Like 1

Thank you both - I'll try Spud's suggestions first before parting with any cash I think!

It doesn't wrench the starter handle so it sounds as if it isn't the timing (even without the decomp button pushed in)

I'll whip the cover off tomorrow and take a look at the control shaft - tbh I haven't run it for a few months (since someone repaired my Husky in fact!) so I can;'t remember exactly what it does when/if it eventually starts.  I seem to remember that it 'just' ran then slowly picked up revs, but will look more closely tomorrow.