New to milling

Alderley logs

Hi all, wondering if you could help a brother out, we have got loads of different sizes and types of timber lumps like oak, beech, sycamore, juniper, redwood, Scott’s pine, larch, yew, ash and more that are to good for just cutting and splitting for fire wood. Have already milled a couple of pieces of oak rough into 2inch thick slabs which sold really well, just unsure how to tackle everything else weather to slab it all or mill some beams or anything else worth my while

Would really appreciate some feed back thanks. Rodders [emoji1303]IMG_1291.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alderley logs said:

Thanks for the reply, which wood is best for beams and which wood would be best for slabs is what I’m trying to find out

I think beams, and sleepers would be best suited to rot resistant wood, ie Oak and Larch, maybe even DF. Id slab everything else. Stack them and get them drying. 

Mantle Pieces sell well too. That could be any wood really? Although Oak always sells the best for that I find. 

• Like 2

I think beams, and sleepers would be best suited to rot resistant wood, ie Oak and Larch, maybe even DF. Id slab everything else. Stack them and get them drying. 

Mantle Pieces sell well too. That could be any wood really? Although Oak always sells the best for that I find. 

Thanks for the info cheers. What thickness would you cut them

Thanks for the info cheers. What thickness would you cut them

Beams? I have a Timber Framer mate who always wants 6x6”.

Mantles 8x4”

I’m gonna build a Timber Framed Shed. The book I’ll follow has a lot of 8x8” beams but I’m not sure how much demand there is for them. But I mill mine at 8 1/4” so I can resaw them down to 6x6” when needed and still have a full 8x2” and 6x2” timber, so nothing wasted.

Slabs I tend to mill 2 1/4” 3.5” etc. So can be resawn if required. Or once dry can be flattened down and still have a good thickness remaining. For example, I’m flattening a 3” slab just now. But it has a 1/2” cup in it. So I’ll end up with a 2” slab at the end.

Hope that helps. :)