BC150 and 220MX, worth buying?

Moose McAlpine

Hi all,

I'm currently working at a tree surgery firm doing machine maintenance and repair, while i do tree work on weekends with a friend. The boss has a unit full of old machinery in various states of disrepair, including 3 chippers which i'm told work, or at least will work with minimal repair.

Now, i've been a mechanic for a number of years and chippers are pretty simple machines compared to some stuff i've worked on. But my question is this, are these machines worth buying? They're all "project" territory needing a fair bit of strip-down and repainting at the least.

There's a Vermeer BC-150 and two Schliesing 220MXs. Apparently the Vermeer overheats but that shouldn't be a problem to sort, 220MXs i'm told just need new batteries.

I'd be looking to keep 1 machine (Vermeer?) and sell the other two once repaired. We run a 2002 TW150 and it's getting a bit old and needs a good once-over, it's also a little small and not great with breaking forks. Any idea on their value in good running condition? I found a chassis tag for one of the 220MXs, not on the machine and it says it's 2003. Don't know about the Vermeer.

Thank you, all input appreciated!

-Moose.

20200914_105909.jpg

20200914_105919.jpg

20200914_105930.jpg

20200914_110055.jpg

20200914_110102.jpg

20200914_110111.jpg

20200914_110117.jpg

20200914_110153.jpg

20200914_110208.jpg

22 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Depends on what you pay, but both those marques have very strong second hand value.

I think he said 2 grand for the 220MXs each and 3 grand for the BC150. I might be wrong (too high) on those figures and i'm sure i can knock him down a bit.

Hard to find accurate used prices, found 220s going for 10-14k, but obviously in much better condition. That said, i'd be "restoring" them prior to sale and anything that needed doing would be done.

I fancy the project aspect, but obviously with profit in mind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MattyF said:

What does he want for the 220’s out of interest?

I think 2 grand a piece.

He reckons they just need a battery/jump start but i've yet to see that. I'll find out for sure as i'm working my way through the equipment. He has 3 Timberwolf 230s and a huge Bandit 12XP, so these are all surplus to requirements.

Edited by Moose McAlpine
  • Like 1

On 15/09/2020 at 20:20, Moose McAlpine said:

I think 2 grand a piece.

He reckons they just need a battery/jump start but i've yet to see that. I'll find out for sure as i'm working my way through the equipment. He has 3 Timberwolf 230s and a huge Bandit 12XP, so these are all surplus to requirements.

I wouldn't want to pay any more for the vermeer than the schliesings. Regardless of what it takes to start them they will want a fair bit of money spending (full refurb). Id happily pay 2k for one of those Schliesing, aim to spend 5-6k on it and have a really smart spare chipper.