Giant burr/burl on Ash tree

MisterBoy

Hope this is an ok place to ask - I have an Ash tree about 18-24" trunk but the bottom few feet is double that diameter in a huge warty lump I believe to be a burl - there's a few smaller ones further up the trunk too.

The tree itself seems in poor shape - not many leaves, many broken branches - so I've been considering having it removed but I don't want to waste what I believe is quite useful for bowl-turning etc.

Wondered if anyone has any advice/experience with this when the tree is chopped?

Edited by MisterBoy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

We call it a burr in the UK.  Wood turners love them so I would make sure it is saved if and when it is felled.  A photo or two would help. 

The challenge is finding a buyer, but some arbtalkers might be interested. 

Cheers for that. My main question is if they'd want the entire huge piece, or it could be cut up in situ. Don't to find I've ruined it by mistake :)

10 minutes ago, MisterBoy said:

Cheers for that. My main question is if they'd want the entire huge piece, or it could be cut up in situ. Don't to find I've ruined it by mistake :)

Id imagine the whole piece and Id be cautious about thinking you've hit a goldmine. Wood turners are notoriously tight fisted. They actually think they're doing you a favour taking it off of your hands. There are of course exceptions to the rules. 

You could also spend some time researching what blank sizes are popular and cut them to that size, store them correctly so they dont split and sell the good pieces as and when a buyer wants one or two. 

Ive also milled what I thought was gonna be a fantastically burred Elm and it was just gnarly. Had this a few times now as well. So although it shows all the signs of Burr it might not actually be so. 

Another option is to mill it up. 

Hope this is an ok place to ask - I have an Ash tree about 18-24" trunk but the bottom few feet is double that diameter in a huge warty lump I believe to be a burl - there's a few smaller ones further up the trunk too.

The tree itself seems in poor shape - not many leaves, many broken branches - so I've been considering having it removed but I don't want to waste what I believe is quite useful for bowl-turning etc.

Wondered if anyone has any advice/experience with this when the tree is chopped?

Message me with your details and some photographs.
Might be interested.
Saul
[emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...