Milling guide

wilde

Just now, topchippyles said:

Shuts trigger up then

12 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Sorry but we say a spade is a spade on here and you seem to be bouncing all over the place with this pal.

And you too it would seem.

Anyway, in light of whats been posted today I do appologise for having a go last night. 

• Like 6

Threads like this are the reason I seldom post on here anymore.
It's just a nice guy asking for some help /advice not a lecture. If you dont want to help don't post.
If I was anywhere near you Wilde I'd gladly have a walk round the woods with you. Looks like an interesting place. Good luck with it.

• Like 2

Threads like this are the reason I seldom post on here anymore.
It's just a nice guy asking for some help /advice not a lecture. If you dont want to help don't post.
If I was anywhere near you Wilde I'd gladly have a walk round the woods with you. Looks like an interesting place. Good luck with it.

Had a nice phone call from Wilde today,
Sounds like a great project.
Hopefully he will post some updates of what’s happening.
[emoji106]
  • Like 3

Whilst not able to provide pictures for a few days I did realise google had some images as people have uploaded them, location is "The Knees Woodlands"

WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

Hopefully the links should be ok

Pictures are: 

WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

I haven't gone through the whole thread here, so might be repeating stuff others have already said.  But my penn'orth:

Join the Forest Products Society (www.forestprod.org).  Get the book for $25 called Sawing, Edging and Trimming Hardwood Lumber, Putting Theory into Practice. 

If you get onto the NHLA website, you can hunt around and try to get access to their webinars - there are only two - by the authors of the book above, one of which I watched and it was interesting.  You'll have to register, but it's free.  Don't be put off by being told "the webinar's over, you've missed it".  Probe around and there is a way to get onto it.  Sorry, but I forget how I did it.

There's a very busy sawmill 'scene' in the USA, where people are (perhaps typically) very enthusiastic about milling.  Loads of stuff goes up on www.forestryforum.com.

You've been told already that there's no better way to learn than getting stuck in.  It's a fact.  If you want to drive a lorry, as I did many years ago, you just have to bite the bullet, pay out a lot of money and go for it.  No amount of reading up will get you anywhere at all.  But you have the good fortune of guys on this forum offering to give you practical experience on their own mills.  That's some opportunity there, and I'd grab it.  If you don't have time for that, I'd question your degree of commitment.   Is this a pipe dream or a serious determination to get into a new skill?

• Like 1