Milling guide

wilde

14 hours ago, wilde said:

I did, I was hoping to find a fairly clear guide to the process rather than spending a whole week going through posts/websites/you tube etc 80% of which would be of little/no use, one example was when I searched "guide to milling timber" hundreds of people/results showing how to use a saw mill when I really just wanted more technical data around the timber rather than the machinery. I haven't had a week to spare for about 4 years... I have a wife kids and a business to run

What area are you as some of the guys on here maybe able to show you in person.

• Like 1

That's a good idea, if anyone can help even on advice that would be great, the site is the East Kent Railway at Shepherdswell (Kent near Dover) , right next to the mainline. As its a voluntary group and I'm a member I'm literally doing the work for the timber as they're not in a position to pay especially with covid19 screwing there revenues. I need all the good help and advice possible as we all know its not a project for profit I just need to justify spending so much time down there and investing in equipment needed

2 minutes ago, wilde said:

That's a good idea, if anyone can help even on advice that would be great, the site is the East Kent Railway at Shepherdswell (Kent near Dover) , right next to the mainline. As its a voluntary group and I'm a member I'm literally doing the work for the timber as they're not in a position to pay especially with covid19 screwing there revenues. I need all the good help and advice possible as we all know its not a project for profit I just need to justify spending so much time down there and investing in equipment needed

Are you doing the work for a share of the timber? 

Would be good to clarify so that anyone that takes the time out (time that you're not willing to bother spending looking through this forum) can then either take all your share of the timber as a training fee, or at least a good percentage of this. :) 

To clarify I'm afraid not initially, seems selfish but atm I'm just after finding out first whether its even worth bothering milling, paying someone to find that out is something I cant afford, especially when it could be just log grade timber. That said, should it be worth milling I'd definitely be willing to negotiate

Just now, wilde said:

To clarify I'm afraid not initially, seems selfish but atm I'm just after finding out first whether its even worth bothering milling, paying someone to find that out is something I cant afford, especially when it could be just log grade timber. That said, should it be worth milling I'd definitely be willing to negotiate

Then I suggest you spend a few hours a week reviewing the past posts in this forum and the links they may take you to. 

When I said I spent a week looking through the threads here I clearly never mean 08:00-17:00 Monday to Friday. Im sure you realise you dont have a monopoly on being a busy family man. :) 

What I did was spend 30-40 minutes in bed before lights off 2-3 times a week over a long period of time digesting the learned info here. You seem keen on getting a book or something to help you in your quest for knowledge right? If that book does not exist then spend the time you clearly have set aside for reading said book and look through this forum and the many others around the globe. 

Obviously you dont expect other time and cash strapped folk to come down and spoon feed you right? That would be a silly assumption on my part. 

15 minutes ago, wilde said:

That said, should it be worth milling I'd definitely be willing to negotiate

Just to pick up on this point. Im £360  a day plus bands/Chains. There is very little negotiations. Im sure you appreciate your boss in your own day job does not ask you to negotiate your daily wage day in day out and the stress that would cause? 

Just a thought.

The publications on the ASHS (Association of Scottish Hardwood Sawmillers) website might help you to get started with understanding some of the processes involved. What are the objectives of your voluntary organisation? I don't understand if you're just clearing a site or looking to make milling, etc. a long term venture?

Andrew

This will probably make me unpopular but hey ho.

I think it's a little unfair to come to a forum like this and ask for advice for free from guys who's lively hood depends on their knowledge and skill in the craft of milling.

I've spent my whole working life (40+ yrs) working with wood and do not take kindly when people expect help for free.

My advice to you is this, forget the internet for information on how to mill or a quick route to identifying trees and start searching for books on the subject.

Do a search for alaskan milling/chainsaw milling and you'll find there's a very good booklet available on pdf that you can download for free written for farmers in Africa, it explains the basics and beyond, then find as many books as you can on trees, identifying them and the uses of their timber.

Books are the way to go, something you can keep dipping into for reference.

11 minutes ago, Forest2Furniture said:

This will probably make me unpopular but hey ho.

I think it's a little unfair to come to a forum like this and ask for advice for free from guys who's lively hood depends on their knowledge and skill in the craft of milling.

I've spent my whole working life (40+ yrs) working with wood and do not take kindly when people expect help for free.

My advice to you is this, forget the internet for information on how to mill or a quick route to identifying trees and start searching for books on the subject.

Do a search for alaskan milling/chainsaw milling and you'll find there's a very good booklet available on pdf that you can download for free written for farmers in Africa, it explains the basics and beyond, then find as many books as you can on trees, identifying them and the uses of their timber.

Books are the way to go, something you can keep dipping into for reference.

Its a forum and people are very welcome to come on here and ask for help or what if we all felt the same way then there would be no forums.

• Like 1