New Hedge cutters

Jack.P

Which petrol models is everyone using and can recommend ? I’m After a replacement long reach and normal type

I found the hs82rc is a bit heavy for longer jobs and preferred the 45 but downside is it’s very shaky on the hands after a while .hsa86 is a good one which I’m also using but it’s not suitable for wet days 

The newer stihl HL models don’t look as well made as the older versions but only seen them online 

what about husqvarna or echo

Budget about 800 for the two machines 

thanks 

On 13/09/2020 at 14:19, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

What about a kombi system stihl km94 with 145 degree 60cm cut and hs45 24" and you'll have change aswell 

Jack

Yep I ended up getting a hl94 as didn’t want a kombi as they seem to go wrong more quickly.anyway had given the new machine a good test run today and personally found the hl94 underpowered and not worth the £650 purchase price.the older model was so much better and didn’t have this ecospeed crap aswell which is a load of useless nonsense.some of the Stihl gear is getting pretty naff really .

7 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Yep I ended up getting a hl94 as didn’t want a kombi as they seem to go wrong more quickly.anyway had given the new machine a good test run today and personally found the hl94 underpowered and not worth the £650 purchase price.the older model was so much better and didn’t have this ecospeed crap aswell which is a load of useless nonsense.some of the Stihl gear is getting pretty naff really .

You do know that all the cruise control does is block the throttle from opening any further than you set it, and you don’t have to use it, right? Pretty handy on a hedge cutter where full power is never required... yet you say it’s underpowered??

there’s nothing else on a combi to go wrong other than a clamp and a £1 plastic shim. 

personally I think the new heads are a huge leap forward from the floppy old ones. I sold all my old style heads for strong money on eBay

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, doobin said:

You do know that all the cruise control does is block the throttle from opening any further than you set it, and you don’t have to use it, right? Pretty handy on a hedge cutter where full power is never required... yet you say it’s underpowered??

there’s nothing else on a combi to go wrong other than a clamp and a £1 plastic shim. 

personally I think the new heads are a huge leap forward from the floppy old ones. I sold all my old style heads for strong money on eBay

Yes had played about with the speed control thingy and had it on max all day but thought it was a pointless design feature and it doesn’t effect the db much for when working near houses etc when it’s on the lowest setting .

anyway the Stihl kombis I’ve seen had trouble after a while getting the ends to engage with the engine hence why I didn’t want another one and also usually ends up with grease everywhere 

paid very similar amount for the older version of this machine about 6 yrs ago and that was a far more solid and powerful machine .this new one is comparable to the power of only a 4T .should have tried  a husqvarna but needed one on next day delivery 

10 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Yes had played about with the speed control thingy and had it on max all day but thought it was a pointless design feature and it doesn’t effect the db much for when working near houses etc when it’s on the lowest setting .

anyway the Stihl kombis I’ve seen had trouble after a while getting the ends to engage with the engine hence why I didn’t want another one and also usually ends up with grease everywhere 

paid very similar amount for the older version of this machine about 6 yrs ago and that was a far more solid and powerful machine .this new one is comparable to the power of only a 4T .should have tried  a husqvarna but needed one on next day delivery 

That's funny...completely different experience here with the kombi set...love it. It's the 111 mind you but just so easy and convenient to transport...not had an issue with connecting either. Is 2 or 3 years old now and gets thrown around a lot.

1 hour ago, Jack.P said:

I've got the km 85/94/131 never had a problem with either got both the old and new heads and the newer one is best for trimming the kombi system is a perfect all around machine they arent the lightest but very useful ive used the hl94 aswell and thought there was more than enough power and was well balanced just couldnt justify that much money in one machine when a kombi does the same job but more at the same time but each one of us has our own personal preference 

Jack