Changing vehicle class from Car to Commercial

Powerfab

@Rich.M. Thanks for the shout out. 

Didn't find a Shogun, ended up with a 2009 Disco 3 commercial which has turned out to be much better than expected. 

The torque converter is on the way out, but the price reflected  enough to budget a replacement when it finally gives up the ghost. So far its held up well and apart from a jerky lockup doesn't prevent it running and towing anything I hang on behind it. 

I've been looking to buy a SWB Shogun for quite some time now. I need it for utility rather than a car. 

Looking at adverts, they were sold as a commercial with the rear seats removed and resulting with a RFL less than 1/2 that of a car variant. I don't see that there were any other changes. 

How hard would it be to remove the rear seats and re-register with DVLA with the classification changed to commercial?

Anyone done something similar before?

Before I sold my commercial and standard Defender 90 it was dearer to insure than a larger engined Porsche and a Mercedes. Nowadays commercial vehicles tend to be dearer to insure even if you’re using them for private use.

And, if you modify a vehicle you can be assured it’ll generally be dearer to insure than its standard untouched equivalent.

On 25/06/2021 at 17:34, Paddy1000111 said:

I can confirm that commercial vehicles are more to insure, at least in my case My car is £168 a year (Volvo v50 2.0 r-design) and my slow as hell transit was £487.... 

You may well be right, but I was pleasantly surprised with mine. 

General pricing / comparison websites, best was around £380. 

Tried Direct Line £197. 👍 result. 

Then decided to put 23yr old son on policy cover - upped it to £510. 😧 Needed cover for him this year as he's getting married and renovating a house so made sense that he had the use. 

Next year I'm hoping to bring it back down < £200 (if he gets the house finished)