Changing vehicle class from Car to Commercial

Powerfab

I've been looking to buy a SWB Shogun for quite some time now. I need it for utility rather than a car. 

Looking at adverts, they were sold as a commercial with the rear seats removed and resulting with a RFL less than 1/2 that of a car variant. I don't see that there were any other changes. 

How hard would it be to remove the rear seats and re-register with DVLA with the classification changed to commercial?

Anyone done something similar before?

• Like 1

How much is the change in the insurance from private to commercial? Or at least cover including work in a 'car' against a commercial vehicle.

When I were a yoof,  having a van was a cheap ride, I got told the other year that nowadays,  commercial vehicle insurance was bloody dear!

• Like 1

Good question Pete, I haven't yet looked into it. 

Like yourself, commercial insurance for me in a van used to be buttons but that was 15yrs ago so I might be in for a shock. No use if the additional insurance wipes out any saving on the RFL. 

Used to have transit with NFU at a good price, may be time to give them a call. 

We have often considered this with the LR Discos, some of which are a commercial spec and the rfl is considerably cheaper.

Turned out that the DVLA go with the class as per original V5 document - no-one on the Disco3 or Disco4 forums has managed to get it changed (in either direction).

Figures ☹️

I can't see DVLA taking to it lightly, everyone would be at it. Daresay they would want some form of Type Approval for the vehicle. Just seems a shame as the Shogun simply seems to have the seats removed. The back windows aren't even changed out for panels. Probably the commercial Disco's are similar. 

Oh well, back to trawling the classifieds. 

• 9 months later...