Ag registering a vehicle

billpierce

Pal of mine cant log on here for some reason as asks the arbtalk massif;

"changing the taxation class of a 4x4 crane Lorry from HGV to agricultural

Going to run a PTO winch and chipper off it as well and it will be predominantly for golf course and estate work but will need to move it between sites."

So anyone done this recently?

• Like 1

With 4x4 HGV`s they like to see them modified to an extent that would render them a machine v's road haulage. If it's already registered in your name the taxation class can be changed at the post office, if not a few pics sent off with the log book to dvla will do the job. "Ag machine" has no restriction on distance from base, ok on red,max 40mph, no motorways and will need 360 flashing beacons to move it on dual carriageways.

Bob

• Like 1

I've been agri registering a bit of plant kit recently.  I'm told there are huge delays in this (and many similar) govt process. Several months was said - but who knows how accurate any of that is.    

Might be easier as change of tax class - mine was a first registration so no V5, numberplate etc. 

Edited by richy_B
  • Like 1

On 13/09/2020 at 10:42, aspenarb said:

With 4x4 HGV`s they like to see them modified to an extent that would render them a machine v's road haulage. If it's already registered in your name the taxation class can be changed at the post office, if not a few pics sent off with the log book to dvla will do the job. "Ag machine" has no restriction on distance from base, ok on red,max 40mph, no motorways and will need 360 flashing beacons to move it on dual carriageways.

Bob

I think you need a tacho if you're over 100km from base and I'm not sure if you can still run it on red if you go further.

This subject has more grey areas than the book, 50 shades of Grey. I went through all this about 18 month ago and it was a nightmare from start to finish but i got the result i wanted in the end but it took about 6 month to do it, best addvise i can give you is DONT believe anything anyone tells you on this subject, there is not much above that is correct, do your own reserch with DVLA, VOSA and HMRC as what it says on one website is correct, then says on another its not ???? very confuseing, print every page that applies to your requierment and high light all that applies to you and stick it in a folder, well thats what i did , i spent hours reseching on this subject but got there in the end and if i had took notice of some people i would be ending up doing poridge, good luck,  

• Like 2

I have registered a fair few Ag over the years, my advice is don't ask the question because any DVLA  response will be ambiguous or add confusion. It really is clear cut, the vehicle is adapted for forestry use end of, only taxation class that fits is the same one that applies to other farm machinery, not to be confused with the word tractor. The drivers directive (100km) tacho/vehicle exemptions only apply to goods carrying vehicles.When we had a vehicle fuel check a few years ago the question was raised with HMRC and DVLA and no more was said. Keep it simple, convert an older 4x4 truck ( 25 year old is tacho exempt) and dont roar around in it hauling timber for hire or reward. Same applies to any Ag vehicle including tractors and Mogs.

Bob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1