Labours Rates?

defender tipper

46 minutes ago, defender tipper said:

Yes thanks guys,I think I will offer £120 a day to start off,and see how it goes,

I always struggle with workers tried everything being nice,being strick ,paying big money,

always end up with the same bums,turn up and look like they have not sleep for a week ,phone in one hand and a can of Red bull in the other.

Sounds very familiar ?. Been working along side a young Latvian lad last couple weeks and his work ethic is best I've seen for a long time, doesn't even take his phone out the van. Unfortunately he works for the guy I sub to and not to me, now if only I could find a couple more like him ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, defender tipper said:

Yes thanks guys,I think I will offer £120 a day to start off,and see how it goes,

I always struggle with workers tried everything being nice,being strick ,paying big money,

always end up with the same bums,turn up and look like they have not sleep for a week ,phone in one hand and a can of Red bull in the other.

Thats cos they been scootering pizzas around Town all night, with the 'special topping'  ? K

9 minutes ago, Phil H said:

I'd jump at that if you were closer.

For those offering £150/day for a semi skilled contentious grafter give me a shout (N.Yorks/Cleveland).

I expect you argue conscientiously.

I used to enjoy odd days in the yard running the log processor etc. nowadays I'm bushed by 13:00

13 hours ago, lux said:

Yes there is. I simply don’t tolerate it. If I’m paying a fair wage I want someone with good common sense and a proactive approach to self initiate tasks before

13 hours ago, lux said:

Well if any freelance guys want work around my neck of the woods they can get in touch. I could do with extra decent guys to call upon. emoji106.png

So "your way or the highway" approach  hasn't got them queuing up at the door then ?:)

Bob

Edit. Hirenfire labour around here for a bod with his own transport seems to be about £120 a day.

Edited by aspenarb

So "your way or the highway" approach  hasn't got them queuing up at the door then [emoji4]

Bob

Ha , ever increasing workload Bob. Not advertised yet just been asking around the local contacts other tree surgeons etc who have decent guys floating between firms assisting when required. Judging by the amount of posts at the moment I’d say a lot of firms are in a similar position with the recent upturn in business across most trades.
Plasters certainly seem to be in huge demand. Desperately seeking more for our self build at the moment, a lot of them are charging circa £300 per day atm. Shortage of materials has seen them able to inflate prices with large contracts facing penalties to finish builds beyond schedule which are less palatable than the daily rates.
I can always let the media junkies know if they want to watch their phones half the day aspen arb are recruiting [emoji38] ( in friendly jest ...)
Seen some of your blue vans in my neck of the woods recently [emoji106] was it you selling the grab lorry ?

On 12/09/2020 at 23:24, gdh said:

I would say £10 an hour for casual labour in mid Wales but it's going to vary massively by area, age and experience.

For doing what the man is asking, yours is the most sensible estimate.

Loading the log deck takes minutes so the poster may as well do that himself which basically cuts out all the skilled element of the vacancy.

I would trial a few for a day each on firewood production guaging their productivity and that will soon sort the wheat from the chaff.