Labours Rates?

defender tipper

I did processor work for £10 an hour for a while. For two reasons mainly, 1, I could hire the Avant off of him on the weekends for cheap and 2, I rent workshop space off of him for cheap as well.

I'd not even consider doing that otherwise. Id be wanting £120 a day minimum. Another incentive to work harder was a free bag of logs when we made the target for the day, which was not always possible, especially with hardwood. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bilke_user said:

£36k pa.   Imagine there'd be a queue miles long if that job was advertised here

Dont know about that, I just offered a guy a job, he only got small trees so basically a trainee in the wood and I put him through first aid and fisa refresher but he reckons he is better off cleaning holiday cottages! 

Just now, jmac said:

Surely that's someone with saw and chipper tickets? Think op is looking for un skilled labour?

Id have thought unskilled labour was digging ditches or cleaning, ie paid from the neck down. You'd have to be at least somewhat familiar with a Chainsaw, teli-handler/forklift and operating a Processor and potentially very basic maintenance? Whilst not in the skilled labour camp I agree you're not gonna pull someone off the street to do this work unless you're happy to spend the first week training them up and fixing/paying for their mistakes. Someone with the above skills is surely not gonna want to work for pennies are they? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Id have thought unskilled labour was digging ditches or cleaning, ie paid from the neck down. You'd have to be at least somewhat familiar with a Chainsaw, teli-handler/forklift and operating a Processor and potentially very basic maintenance? Whilst not in the skilled labour camp I agree you're not gonna pull someone off the street to do this work unless you're happy to spend the first week training them up and fixing/paying for their mistakes. Someone with the above skills is surely not gonna want to work for pennies are they? 

This.

When you need to operate the machinary involved it is a semi skilled job, around here £12-£15/hour. At £15/hour I'd do it to fill odd days if it was local.

• Like 2

Having to spend time training someone or not is going to have an influence on what rate you start someone on, better to start at a base rate and increase hourly rate if reasonable to do so, if you don’t have to spend time on training £12 - £15/hr but if need for training/supervision around £10 -12/hr, then there is what sort of work ethic does the person have which unless you know the person will only become apparent once they start. You could also consider a base rate plus a bonus or even a piece rate rather than payment based on time worked. Some will work well above that of your average average trained worker and maybe even be outstanding but most likely to be an average worker, there are also those who are steady but on the slow side and some with no interest in the job, seem half asleep/hung over and constantly checking their phones, you can’t pay all the same rate, start them on the minimum you are prepared to offer and take it from there, I usually ask what someone needs and negotiate from that as at times someone will ask for less than I had in mind.

The "money" does not always get you a decent labourer, plenty of clock watching media junkies and  phone/text addicts on top money for not doing a lot.

Bob

Yes there is. I simply don’t tolerate it. If I’m paying a fair wage I want someone with good common sense and a proactive approach to self initiate tasks before being asked or getting their phone out of their pocket ..... I’m comfortable paying good money for a good worker. A strong work ethic is all I expect people to turn up with. Anything else can come later and is relatively easy to sort.

Surely that's someone with saw and chipper tickets? Think op is looking for un skilled labour?

Not necessarily. It’s preferable yes but some people have skills in other areas that fit in with the work we do so as long as they are a good reliable hard grafter they get rewarded the same. They may have skill sets that fit in with fencing / landscaping work we occasionally do that some of the guys with saw tickets are less clued up on. But spreading the knowledge and mucking in gets the tasks done.
  • Like 1